338 win to edge

elktaxi1

so i'm in the gun safe and found a 338 win mag. in ruger #1.with 26in barrel and a gentry quite brake. so i load up some 265 barnes and right out it shots .650 so my questions is. if i run a 338 edge reamer in it will it keep the group sizes and has anyone else tried using a number 1 on a edge build yet.gun)

so i'm in the gun safe and found a 338 win mag. in ruger #1.with 26in barrel and a gentry quite brake. so i load up some 265 barnes and right out it shots .650 so my questions is. if i run a 338 edge reamer in it will it keep the group sizes and has anyone else tried using a number 1 on a edge build yet.gun)

You won't gain much with a 26" barrel. Besides, I wouldn't mess with a rifle that shoots sub 1".

How does it shoot at long range?

dont have a scope on it yet to go to 1000 but at 400 it shot a sub 1in group. as for messing with a sub 1in gun i have quit a few that will go under a inch and i have a few 338 wins to spare one. just looking for a new toy to play with. i did this same thing to a 7mm rem to 7 rum and ended up with one that shots .458 groups so i know the group size can stay good or better.

Your 338 winchester will kill elk at 1000 yards and I wouldn't mess with it. The 338 winchester is an excellent cartridge. The edge is one of the names later given to the 338-300 RUM I started doing in 1999. I did several on Ruger #1's and it is an easy convert. In your 26" barrel you will gain on average 250-300 fps over the 338 winchester. In other words with 300 grainers you will go from around 2450-2500 to 2750 fps. 250 grain you will go from 2750 or so to 3000+ fps. The 225's you will go from 2900 to 3250 or so fps. Hope that helps. If you do a good job with the rechamber you should not lose any accuracy. You would be better to go with the 338 RUM and stay with a factory cartridge. Same performance with no fuss reloading. After extreme testing I quit fooling with the 338-300 RUM in 2001 when the 338 RUM came out. Hope this helps.

thanks long time i'm just looking for a new wildcat to play with thats not going to break the bank to do. atleast rifle wise. as for the reloading i do that to relax and get out of the house at night. i think it is just what i need i'm road bound(shoot from vehical permit) these days and the extra range(knock down energy) i pickup over my 7mm/300wby and 7mm-416 will be nice.i will diffenantly think about the 338 ulta too thanks for your help.gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.