338 win mag barrel length and rifling

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by charver, Oct 1, 2011.

1. charver

charver Member

just need some info here guys,am thinking of getting a new barrel for my 338 win mag and was wondering what length of barrel and a 10 or 11 twist rate.

i will be shooting 225 grain with a view of going to 250grain bullets.

any advice would be welcome as im sure it will save me some pennys

cheers guys

2. TikkaShooters

TikkaShooters Official LRH Sponsor

Personally I went with a 10 twist to be able to shoot the new Cutting Edge 225 and 252. They say the 225 requires a 1:10 to stabilize.

I should have the rifle next month and will post how it performs.

3. MagnumManiac

MagnumManiac Well-Known Member

Others may disagree, but I prefer a minimum barrel length of 26" on any magnum round!

If you're going to be shooting heavy bullets in your 338, I would opt for a 1:10" twist, anything slower may not give the desired results. A slower twist may be OK for light bullets, but not the best choice for the heavies.

Are you going for a S/S or Moly barrel?

Cheers.
    gun)

4. charver

charver Member

it will be a s/s barrel and is 26" long.
    its a work rifle on the estate where i work and is a tikka t3 hunter.thats the only on available that im allowed to get,so as its not costing me anything i might as well get it sorted out b4 i order it

5. Long Time Long Ranger

Long Time Long Ranger Well-Known Member

Get a 1-10 twist and shoot the 225 grain Cutting Edge bullets D-62 I think .64 BC. The maxx ones anyway. Then you will have a 1000 yard hunting rifle for large big game. I have had excellent results with this bullet so far in numerous 338 rifles.

6. TikkaShooters

TikkaShooters Official LRH Sponsor

The good about choosing the Tikka is that is only comes in a 1:10 twist. You'll be set.

7. LouBoyd

LouBoyd Well-Known Member

Bullet stability depends on many factors. One that hasn't been mentioned here is air density.
    Air density is a function mostly of temperature and altitude. While I agree that 10" is the "normal" choice, you might want a faster twist if you shoot in arctic temperatures near sea level or could use a slower twist if you only shoot at a mile elevation in warm weather (like I do). It's better to err on the side a faster twist rate as over spinning will have less detrimental effect than under spinning.