338 vs 375 barrel life

D.ID

My next rifle is on the horizon. I am planning on another 338 edge but wondering how dramatic the change in barrel life would be if I built a 375 rum instead. Both shooting heavy slugs 338=300grain or 375=350grain. Any body know how much difference it could make? Thanks.

I'm thinkin' that for normal hunting purposes it would be about 6 to one and a half dozen to the other. For heavy shooting I think the edge would go to the 375.

I'm thinkin' that for normal hunting purposes it would be about 6 to one and a half dozen to the other. For heavy shooting I think the edge would go to the 375.

+1

Barrel life/throat erosion is effected by many things. Normally large cases with small fast bullets
are the worst about taking a barrel out.

Light fast bullets don't burn as much of the powder in the case and more is pushed out into the
lands. powder abrades the throat and barrel until it is consumed so the more raw powder down
the barrel the faster it erode.

Larger heavier bullets tend to burn more powder inside the case and the fact that there is normally
less because of weight there will normally be less erosion.

Proper Cleaning often will also help prevent the bullet from picking up carbon and wearing the
barrel more in any caliber.

So with the bore diameter larger and the bullet weight higher I would think that the 375 would be
easier on the barrel (But not on the shoulder).

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.