338 Ultra

I'm looking to see if they will fly streight to 400 yds. Because at 200 yds they go all over the place. They are boat
tail design but at times boat tails don't fly streight until they have a longer ways to go.

The hornaday 225 sp's do well out to 600, that's as far as I have run groups for that bullet. Averages about 5.5 inches, pretty good for a hunting bullet.

I have shot the Sierra #2650 (250gr Match King) into about 1.25 MOA groups at 200 yds @ 2830 FPS MV.

The Sierra # 2600 (250gr Gameking) shoots 1/4 MOA @ 2930 FPS

I shot them out to 730yds and accuracy was maintained except that the extreme velocity spread made them vertically string a bit. When I got the ES/SD down into single digits, it made the ol' 338 into a pretty fair varmint rifle.

You must have something else going on. "All over the place" doesn't sound like you are fareing very well.

I 'm new at long range shooting. I just found this 600yd range and joined. I have shot the 250gr btsp serria bullets at 200 yds before and they made a 10" group [all over the place]. Was wondering if they would do the same at 400 yds,
or if the group would be smaller. Thats what I'm asking.

It sounds like the group gets smaller. From what was posted.
Thanks.

I;d say that there is something major wrong with something,

10" @ 200 is at least 20" @ 400" and probably worse from there....

The environments affect on bullet flight usually makes for larger groups @ longer ranges as wind/etc has more time to work on it.

There are some basic things that you should look at:

Bedding
Barrel clearance
Barrel Fouling (see thread on "cant get copper out"
Stock screws tight
Scope screws tight
Scope not slipping in rings.
Scope not gone to pot.
Barrel Break-in (Again see copper out thread)
Check your flinch meter (have someone else load your rifle, or not load it
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif) then shoot.
Is the rest solid.

And on and on.......

I agree with Roy somethings not right I have shot many sub min groups with Sierra 250's at 100yds and well beond... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I've had the action bedded and the barrel floated. Before this the trigger pull was 8lbs now its 3lbs.

I found that with boat tail bullets at 200 yds any rifle shoots a large group. I've shot my 375 H&H with boat tails
and it does the same thing at 200 yds. Any rifle at 100 yds the bullets go to point of aim.

I've been shooting for over 44 years. I use sand bags. all my rifles shoot to point of aim at 100 yds. A lot shoot to point of aim at 200 yds but not with boat tails.
At 150 yds boat tails shoot to point of aim but not at 200 yds.

I'm going to shoot this 338 RUM at 400 yds tomorrow with the 250 gr boat tails and see what kind of group I get. If group is large might switch to Flat Base bullets.

I've shot flat bace bullet to 200 yds out of my 338 RUM before and different bullets group differently. Those Remington flat point group about 4" the hornady bullets group the same maybe a little less. I'm not talking about a three shot group I mean 20 rounds.

[ QUOTE ]

I found that with boat tail bullets at 200 yds any rifle shoots a large group. <font color="blue">Haven't had that experience. I shoot boat tails pretty much exclusively in 270, 338 and 375. Group size @ 200 is pretty much the same as w/flat base. </font>

I've shot my 375 H&amp;H with boat tails
and it does the same thing at 200 yds. Any rifle at 100 yds the bullets go to point of aim.<font color="blue">Not exactly sure of what you mean... </font>

I've been shooting for over 44 years. I use sand bags. all my rifles shoot to point of aim at 100 yds. A lot shoot to point of aim at 200 yds but not with boat tails.
At 150 yds boat tails shoot to point of aim but not at 200 yds.

I'm going to shoot this 338 RUM at 400 yds tomorrow with the 250 gr boat tails and see what kind of group I get. If group is large might switch to Flat Base bullets.

I've shot flat bace bullet to 200 yds out of my 338 RUM before and different bullets group differently. Those Remington flat point group about 4" the hornady bullets group the same maybe a little less. I'm not talking about a three shot group I mean 20 rounds. <font color="blue">How long does it take to shoot the 20 rnd group? If its shorter than 45 minutes barrel heat may have been the problem. If its shorter than that amount of time, or sufficient time to cool the barrel between shots, then the problem may well have started a long time ago. </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with Roy, heat can be a major issue. My 338 RUM gets really hot after the 3rd shot.
Try RL25 with 90.0 grs. My M700LSS shoots Nosler 250 fr PT's well under MOA. Best group is .490" at 100 yds.

JD338

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.