338 thunder project

Thank you IP, your input is valuable.

I have attempted to remove the rest of my post from this particular thread. However, apparently there is a time limit in which to do so.

Killing is Killing, not peaches and cream, we have the responsibility to do it quickly.

Thanks Dave and Preacher.
I will be posting some pics of the parts and pieces here tomorrow or the next day.

I have a local guy here who produces hunting videos and he wants to come video my upcoming cow elk hunt for his next video so you guys might get to see the thunder in action if it is completed on time.

I will keep you updated as the project comes together Preacher. Stay tuned.
When the video comes out, grab a cold one (Pepsi) and sit back and watch how fast the elk hit the dirt (if I can shoot straight /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif ). Later.

GG,

Thanks for the details. Very interested in the Thunder, though I don't much go for the name /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Sounds a bit Utahr for me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif kiddin!

The 250gr bullet @ 3150 is my velocity and the resulting energy is what I want. My distances are a few hundreds of yards less than yours. Also, I'm into the 30" bbl mode plus brake.

The bummer is that I've started another project that puts the 338 project on a back burner. (my winny is shooting exceedingly well, so what the hey!) But, been thinking about the switch bbl thing. That would be a hel..I mean, heck of a switch from 224 to 338. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

As for elk, I'd just love to find one any one. If it weren't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Grouper,

Just wondering about bullet selection on the thunder project. Why not a 300 gr for such long distances? I have shot side by side with a friend and his 338 Lapua with the 225 Accubond @ 3080 fps and my EDGE 300 gr @ 2850 fps the difference in the 300's abilities at distance was dramatic. I was just curious about any 338 testing and possible field data you my have done. My hunting buddy used the Lapua last week to pile a bull up a 758 yards in his tracks with the 225 Accubond load. I don't have any field animal data with the 225 at long distance only the 300's.

Shawn,

Do you have any details you can share on how the 225 gr AB
performed on your friends elk? Was the bullet recovered, expanded dia. and weight?

Regards,

JD338

It is relevent to groupers project so here goes. The elk was broadside pushing against abother bull but the two were at a stand still. The 225 grain Accubond entered the the shoulder high breaking the shoulder and spine some fragments went into the heart lung area. I do not know if they were bullet frags or bone. The bullet exited and was not recovered. The high shoulder shot was taken on purpose. Results of the hit were predictable and the elk was rolling down the hillside before the shooter recovered from the recoil. Point of interest, the other bull stood around for 20+ minutes and watched the fallen bull, it was still in view when he called me on the cell phone.

Shawn

As a matter of interest to me- would you find out if it hit any more bones coming out the other side. As I understand it the bullet broke the near sholder and then hit some part of the spine and then ??? and exited. I have taken to calculating a modified Taylor index on bullet's ability to break through bones at long range. While I am very partial to 7mm's there is just no denying the raw power of the 338's.

GG -- Why do you preach that a heavy BR setup is NEEDED for LR P-Dogs, and admonish lerch for going after PD's at 1 mile from a bipod...then turn around and build a lightweight sporter for shooting Elk at 1 mile?

Seeing this, it sounds like you would rather risk a bad shot on an elk at a mile, then on a prairie dog...

Seems you will now be using the same system you are telling lerch not to use...how come?

JB

BB,

The bullet inpacted and penetrated the shoulder blade turned penetrated the spine and exited the body ahead of the opposite shoulderblade toward the neck.

Why is everyone wanting to bitch about GG?

All he is doing is offer his advice that to make things easier hitting little targets at a mile and beyond, its best to use the most stable equipment around! This is not rocket science.

Elk are what, 100X larger than pdogs? Ethics guide our thought process more with larger game, but he has proven himself capable of taking minute game beyond 2000 yards more than once.

Cut the sh!t!!! If you don't like GG, Ric, me hell anyone, don't like them! Just leave it off the forum.

Laws dictate big game hunting in some states, and hunters are limited to 16.5lbs? I think. That is probably why he wants to use a lighter-weight portable sporter.

[ QUOTE ]
Why is everyone wanting to bitch about GG?

All he is doing is offer his advice that to make things easier hitting little targets at a mile and beyond, its best to use the most stable equipment around! This is not rocket science.

Elk are what, 100X larger than pdogs? Ethics guide our thought process more with larger game, but he has proven himself capable of taking minute game beyond 2000 yards more than once.

Cut the sh!t!!! If you don't like GG, Ric, me hell anyone, don't like them! Just leave it off the forum.

Laws dictate big game hunting in some states, and hunters are limited to 16.5lbs? I think. That is probably why he wants to use a lighter-weight portable sporter.

[/ QUOTE ]

That last sentence is all that was needed, and answers my question if that is the case...

Why is a question "bitching," I was just curious why one would go to the opposite end of the spectrum when moving from varmint to big game animal. IMO the big game animal deserves more assurance of a good shot than a varmint that numbers in the 100's of Billions...

YMMV,
JB

The bullet inpacted and penetrated the shoulder blade turned penetrated the spine and exited the body ahead of the opposite shoulderblade toward the neck.

Calculate momentum

225 gr@ 3080 fps with BC of 0.550

range 758 yds impact velocity = 1888fps

Impact momentum = 1888 X 225 = 424,800 BB units or 1.89 #-sec ( conversion factor is 224,762)

Some momentum is with the exited bullet. Let us say 20 % exited. Then what was used to get through the shoulder and spine. 339,840 BB units.

Ok if half was to get through the shoulder and half through the spine. (most likely only 30 –40 % to get through the shoulder and the remainder to get through the spine.

So to get through the shoulder blade into the chest cavity used 169,920 BB units or 0.756 #-sec

For those that still believe in energy, this is 712 ft# to get through the should blade and into the chest.

Sorry, just tired of the GG/Ric toast-buttering stuff, and you gave me a good target.

Its all in how things are worded. Ric would still be here if he plainly asked/stated his questions. Instead he, myself and others intertwine disdain and sarcasm into our responses. Its not needed. It comes off as personal attacks and gets tempers flaring.

Once again, my apologies JB.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.