338 SST 225 grain?

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by Perkules, Mar 4, 2004.

1. Perkules

Perkules Well-Known Member

Got a box just out of curiosity. They look and measure good.

[​IMG]

They are lighter than I would like for moose but I´ll see what I can come up with anyway. Maybe a good varmint bullet in 338 LM. [​IMG]

Has anyone here used these on game?

2. Matt Regalia

Matt Regalia Well-Known Member

Petander,

What load did you cook up for them (powder brand, how many grains, OAL). I see the Vihtivouri reloading manual out [​IMG] If I remenber right you have a Sako TRG-s. Do these rounds fit the magazine? I used to load the 200 gr Nosler Ballistic tip. I am trying the 225gr Accubond this year. Have not shot it yet. I am using N165.

Matt

3. Perkules

Gentlemen,thank you very much,good info. [​IMG]

Matt, I´m using Vihtavuori N165 as well. I cooked up four loads to start with, two of which are around Vihtavuori max which is 6.28 grains. It should give 3050 fps or so, I will chrono these first to get some idea where I´m at and start a bit lower of course.

3000-3100 fps MV would fill my needs well. OAL is 3.655" which is 0.010" off the lands, they fit the TRG-S magazine.

Jerry,your impact velocity info is very good news too, exactly what I was looking for. Seems to fit the picture in this case, 200 to 600 yards is my practical hunting range so I´ll verify this bullet path up to 800 at least - if I find a low ES load in the first place.

Now,time to locktite those screws again. I will fix the bedding one day but now I´m waiting for a suppressor to get rid of the brake so I´ll need to take the rifle apart soon anyway. Suppressors are legal over here.

Isn´t this a great board or what? [​IMG]

4. Mysticplayer

Mysticplayer Writers Guild

As long as impact vel is below 3000fps (try 2800fps as a max), you will love these bullets.

I have used Hornady bullets in one form or another for several years and they always work if impact vel is kept moderate. Penetration has always exceeded expectation. I now use SST's exclusively, although the new Interbonds are very interesting.

Very accurate too. Let us know how you make out with those SST

Jerry

5. Perkules

Well here I go:

After my car got stuck in the snow I concentrated on shooting. My most accurate load was average 3120 fps and ES was 45 for ten rounds of these 225 SST:s.

Some horizontal spread again (bedding) but after a couple of hours outside the rifle settled down and I was able to get normal groups without weird flyers. I did 100,200 and 300 meters. Cold weather makes my TRG-S behave better, it´s confirmed by now. Plastic seems to harden somehow.

Very easy shooters compared to 300 Matchkings.Yes, I shot one 300 MK "fouler" group and it was the best group of the day. [​IMG]

Once I figure out the bedding I´ll let you know. The time is about to come.