338 Snipe-tac

The 338 snipetac is the 408 Chey tac necked down to 338.

Main powder used is h50bmg. About 136/142 grains. Velocity with a 300 grainer ranges 3300/3500 fps...

What else you wanna know?

I havent.. I wish I could! I have an 11 twist.. funny you mention rockys.. cause I just ordered some and I am going to try the 300gr. (even they might not stabilize in my 11 twist) but I am going to try them. i can use them in my edge is they don't run in the snipetac. But with the 325gr you will need a 1-9....1-9.5

When my barrel goes out instead of having it set back I am going to swap out for a 1-9.

your thinking right.. i have put a lot of time into calculations and the 338 sniptetac with the 325 rocky is the mac daddy... probably run it at 3350fps.. thats on the upper end.. for accuracy and case life still OK. even if the BC isn't as high as they claim.. call it i.e: .980 instead of 1.037... its still a awesome load combo... over 8,000lbs muzzle energy and capable of 3000 yard shots.. gun):D
who is building your 338/408?

Mine is a 1-9 ,after talking with boys at Rockys, and cutting edge bullets. if you use there formula . You may be able to spin the 325. They still might not work in your rifle.

I live in Wisc. I am next to some of the best barrel makers out there.

My build is a Stiller TAC 408, Brux 32 inch 1-9, plus Mcree rigid repeater stock.

Oh I want to shot this thing

gun)

what did George have to say at Rocky? is the BC really what they list? how do they/ you figure the 1-11 might run the 325gr?

sounds like a good build... Dave Viers did mine.. i am very happy with his work!

Cutting edge has the formula on there web site. I used for my 7mm Allen Magnum, I have a 1-9. It works for 168 Bergers. But becasue I spin the heavy 200 gr. or 190, fast enough they still work in this barrel. But also how many rounds down the tube, plus the way bullet is built. There is research out there. I know that the 1-11 is well hurts for the heavy ones. George said for me the 1-9 is perfect. He has allmost 600 down the tube on his gun. Also beliive he has more than most out there,when he develop this bullet. Cutting edge has some great 338 bullets. I think you could shoot the 265gr well may be 3700 fps or so. W O W ! !

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts