338 rum

450hunter

I'm trying to get my 338 RUM figured out using 300 gr Berger bullets. It is a Remington 700 XCR II. Does anyone have any load data shooting this combo they would be willing to share. I have these powders on hand to try:

RL-22
RL-25
RL-33
H-1000
IMR-7828

Plus I have others but no Retumbo (sp) on hand. I have a friend that is shooting 87 grns of RL-25 using the 300 grn Berger with good accuarcy out of his Remington 700 but that seems to be a really hot load if I remember right. Thanks in advance for any help/info.

I'm trying to get my 338 RUM figured out using 300 gr Berger bullets. It is a Remington 700 XCR II. Does anyone have any load data shooting this combo they would be willing to share. I have these powders on hand to try:

RL-22
RL-25
RL-33
H-1000
IMR-7828

Plus I have others but no Retumbo (sp) on hand. I have a friend that is shooting 87 grns of RL-25 using the 300 grn Berger with good accuarcy out of his Remington 700 but that seems to be a really hot load if I remember right. Thanks in advance for any help/info.

450hunter,
Go to the Berger Bullet website and click on the RELOADING tab and scroll down. Click on your cartridge in the list in red. If you need information on powders we dont list for you please use the "contact us" under the INFORMATION tab and we will be glad to help.

I have had great luck with 90.0 gr of RL25 ,300 gr Berger
And Super accurate and even more velocity 102.0 gr. RL33 with 300 gr Berger.

RL25 ran 2750 fps , RL33 ran 2900 fps out of a 28 inch Kreiger, Work up on either load, both near max, but had no pressure issues in my rifle. Both were fed 215 primers.

Both loads were loaded mag length, 3.69 these loads worked really well with with Berger 300 gr. and SMK 300 gr

Highridge1,

Thanks for the info and I will give ita try again. The data I had looked at had max 83 grn for RL 25 and Berger give me 93 grn for RL 33, so that was the max I tried for both. Looks like I am way below max and most people have said the RUM performed best loaded hotter.

To just clear up my confusion which load gave you Super accuracy and do you prefer one powder over the other. Once again thank you very much for your help.

Prefer the RL33 definitely. My newest 338 rum shot .25 groups with it, 102 grains with 300 gr SMK just a few days ago. at 102 grs my rifle had no pressure issues at all. Of course every rifle is different so work up. That load data you have is below where I started with both RL25 and RL33.

I'm beginning to think that is part of my problems. Are the SMKs as long as the Berger 300 grn?

The SMK is easier load to magazine length due to it's Tangent ogive. You can get closer to the lands at mag length with SMKs. The Bergers have a long nose that requires you to seat them deep into the case to get them to magazine length. This results in more jump to the lands, and it decreases case capacity.

If you require the use of the factory mag, go with SMK. If you single feed, or decide to have a Wyatt's box installed, go with the Bergers.

A combo that works well for me in my 338 RUM XCR 2 is the 250 Accubond, .090 off, 94.5 grains H1000, with a Fed 215 in RP brass. This nets 2925 fps with some sub .5 MOA groups. Most are around .6 or .7 off the bipod.

I think I may have a lead on some 300 grn SMK's here locally. How are the SMK's for hunting? I have heard they don't shoot as good as the bergers do long range (1000 +) but I have no experience with them or the berger for that matter.

I would like to thank everybody for there help so far and I'm looking forward to getting back out to the range to try some new loads. Thanks again.

The 300 gr. Smk works excellent on game and work excellent at long range.Ive even had them perform more consistent accuracy wise.

I think I may have a lead on some 300 grn SMK's here locally. How are the SMK's for hunting? I have heard they don't shoot as good as the bergers do long range (1000 +) but I have no experience with them or the berger for that matter.

I would like to thank everybody for there help so far and I'm looking forward to getting back out to the range to try some new loads. Thanks again.

Aside from the lower BC of the SMK compared to the Berger, you're not giving up much if anything by going with the SMK.

I was able to pick up a box of the 300 grn SMK's on the way home tonight. They are also pretty long but are a little shorter. I will get some loaded up and see how they shoot. I'm not sure if I will try to shoot them before I have a muzzle brake installed. Around a 100 grains of powder with a 300 grain bullet has to be a thumper.

Highridge1, I take it those loads of RL-25 and RL-33 are compressed loads. I can only load to the stock mag length right now. Later, I want to get a extended detachable magazine.

Also,I was thinking about having one of the muscle brakes from Precision Rifles installed. My barrel size would require the 9/16×24 Mini Magnum. What brakes are you guys using if any?

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.