.338 Norma Build-which extractor and bolt?

sdowney

Always intrigued with this caliber and now I'm ready to have one built. I'm starting with a Remington ADL magnum bolt. Smith is going to open and true the action. Also says we need a PTG/Badger extractor for Lapua Magnum bolt face. I've heard mixed opinions about messing around with the stock extractor.

Riddle me this: I've heard the stock extractor may not be quite as reliable as either the Sako or M-16 style extractors (I'm not shooting anything dangerous), but will be a stronger overall bolt than one modified with either the above.

Also, can this stock magnum bolt stand up to .338 norma loads or do I need to re-think the Lapua bolt options. I'm building a decent hunting rifle that doesn't weigh a ton and trying to keep it in the $2800 range.

Any words of wisdom appreciated.

I'm building a 300 Norma Imp on a Mark V action but the 338 Norma was designed for a standard Remington long action. You'll be fine with the bolt you have. As far as the extractor goes, you'll need one for a .588 case head (338 Lapua).

Always intrigued with this caliber and now I'm ready to have one built. I'm starting with a Remington ADL magnum bolt. Smith is going to open and true the action. Also says we need a PTG/Badger extractor for Lapua Magnum bolt face. I've heard mixed opinions about messing around with the stock extractor.

Riddle me this: I've heard the stock extractor may not be quite as reliable as either the Sako or M-16 style extractors (I'm not shooting anything dangerous), but will be a stronger overall bolt than one modified with either the above.

Also, can this stock magnum bolt stand up to .338 norma loads or do I need to re-think the Lapua bolt options. I'm building a decent hunting rifle that doesn't weigh a ton and trying to keep it in the $2800 range.

Any words of wisdom appreciated.

If it's done right a M-16/Sako style extractor is better/stronger. It's just about as easy to order a PTG/Comp. Edge bolt and sell yours though. The aftermarket bolts are one piece and have a removable knob or handle. It's not uncommon for a stock extractor to pull over the rim of the case with a high pressure load.

I used a stock bolt about 15 years ago for a .30-378 Imp/338-378 and haven't had any issues with it but I'd do a aftermarket if I had to do it again and that's what I'm doing. I have a Comp. Edge bolt for a .30-338 Lapua Imp build I'm going to do but only because it's stainless instead of chromoly for the PTG. If your coating the whole thing I'd use the PTG as it requires less/no work to get it to work correctly. My action is stainless so I got the Comp. Edge.

Opening the bolt face to accept the Norma will remove much of the rim which holds the factory extractor in place. Milling a bolt for an m16 extractor (I like the mini m16) will not weaken the bolt in any way that's important.

The PTG bolts are a great choice, offering some very attractive fluting / grinding options. You can have the bolts cut in whatever configuration you need. I prefer the two piece bolts because they allow optimal handle placement and timing.

I recommend the Mk V also. The .585" bolt face for the .378 based cartridges will work with the Norma case with very little work, if any. If you use the Remington, you may have to open the bolt nose recess in the breech of the barrel to give the extractor enough room to snap over the extraction rim if it doesn't do it while the round is feeding.

I like the M-16 extractors better than the Sako style. Just my opinion.

Wby Parts has available centerfeed mag boxes and flat followers for the big cases. I'm not sure what will be required to make the Norma feed in the Remington action. Maybe the Ultramag boxes and followers?

Also my opinion, but I think you're pushing the 700 action.

Good luck, Tom

Get an action designed for the bolt thrust the Lapua has. Way too many compromises using a Rem 700.
Besides the bolt the action will have to be machined to accept a different magazine, the feed rails will have to modified.
And one more thing the 1.0625" barrel tenon diameter is not large enough to take handle the pressure because the sidewalls are thinner than a standard magnum. This is not unsafe but will leads to extraction issues. It's just not worth the expense and trouble and end up with a rifle that is marginal. For a few more dollars get a Stiller TAC 338 and never have a worry.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts