.338 Norma Brass Small or Chamber Problem?

Conrad

I just received my new .338 Norma and was doing the necessary prep work--installing new grip, bipod spud, checking trigger etc. When it came time to run a dummy round in the chamber to check for length to lands, feeding, etc I found something puzzling.

The first time I chambered the dummy round the bullet engaged the lands and was pushed in a bit, no big deal. Either the 2nd or 3rd time the round would not eject. It was left in the chamber when running the bolt back. I pushed it out with a cleaning rod. I repeated this a few time but no luck on extracting the round with the bolt. Obviously the bolt needed to be able to push the bullet into the lands for the extractor to engage the rim. With that said if I pull the trigger and let the pin fall the extractor engages the rim and I can eject the shell.

Something to note is that when I had Doug Giraud make me the shell holder for my trimmer for the .338 Norma I noted to him that my shell was a loose fit. He told me he used the standard reamer to make the shell holder, and we both agreed that once I fire formed my brass it probably wouldn't be an issue. Because of this I can't really conclude that my chamber is large or not headspaced correctly.

If the rim is not engaged I'm assuming that my firing pin will not reach the primer. Is this correct? Or hard to say? If it is, do you think it would be possible to pull the trigger thus allowing the bolt to engage the rim, lift the bolt to recock the firing pin, and then fire, allowing me to fire form my brass?

I had to wonder if my Norma Brass is too small, but I know other people are shooting the .338 Norma and I can't say that they are having these problems that I know of.

Any ideas? I will contact the smith on Monday, but wanted to kick this around with others as well. I will definitely not be attempting to shoot the rifle until I know things are safe.

Thanks for the help,
Conrad

It appears that I can put a small piece of scotch tape (.0015" thick)on the shoulder and the extractor will engage the rim and I can eject the shell without pulling the trigger. Seems that the chamber isn't too sloppy....ideas?

Given that I can push a shell into the bolt face and the extractor grabs the rim, I'm starting to think that my counterbore on the barrel face is cut just a hair too shallow.

yOU need to talk to your smith, What state is he in? I dont think my e-mail is set up right for this site, but I could e-mail. I had same issue. What brass are you using?

Last edited:
I'm using Norma brass. I plan on talking to him come Monday. Did you have a M-16 Extractor installed?

I heard some issues earlier with a different brass, my brass if I recall was a little short of trim lenght. I could check it. I had some reaming issues and my rifle acted like yours sounds, but I dont want to jump to conclusions.

I think you are on the right track with it being the counterbore.
It also might be that the counterbore is not a big enough diameter and not allowing the ejector to ride over the rim of the case. Is there any scuff marks on the brass as if the ejector has to be forced over the rim of the case?

After doing the sharpie trick on the bolt nose to see if it rubbed and finding no evidence of such I also believe that it is the counterbore diamter. I have run my primary dummy round enough times that the extractor now grabs the rim upon closing the bolt. This round does show a good bit of wear on the rim, and I believe I've worn it down just enough for the extractor to have more clearance. The other cases that have not been run as much still do not extract. I think a quick run on the lathe to open the counterbore diameter another .010" will solve the problem....I hope. Thank you for the help and feedback.

-Conrad

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.