338 Lapua

trueblue

Would like some information on the 338 Lapua.
What COAL length are you guys using with the 300gr SMK, and what are you trimming your brass length to. Also, what dies are you using , bushing dies ? and what brand ? I am looking at a COAL of 3.870 and a trim length of 2.710
Feedback please.

Hello,

I trim to 2.715"

COL of 3.717"

Lapua brass.

Redding competition Neck die with a .367 or .366 bushing. I woul just get the competition redding die set with the micrometer neck and seater and the seperate body die. Also I have a set of redding stepped shell holders if I need to just bump the shoulder back a bit.

Jeff

Broz,
There are a couple of different competition sets from Redding, do you have a part # for the set you are refering to ?
Also,are you just sizing the neck, and then after say 4-5 firings using the body die to resize the case and bump the shoulder ?
What shellhoader # does it take for this case ?

Are you turning necks on your 338 Lapua, and if so, what are you using to hold the case?

Are you turning necks on your 338 Lapua, and if so, what are you using to hold the case?

I am not. I have found the necks to be very consistant and my runout is never over .001" total. In fact I would say 90% of them are in the .0005" range total runout. I figure his is why I pay the extra for Lapua brass and feel it is worth every penny.

I have found though that on my 5th time reloading, I am seeing the necks are becoming work hardened and I am not getting consistant neck tension. Also loosing some seal of gases at the neck too. So I am picking up my KL annealer today...:)

I will also add, on the 100 5 times fired Lapua brass that have all been with 300 SMKs. The primer pocket are still consistantly tight and I have yet to have to bump the shoulders back.

Jeff

Thanks, BROZ.
I too found the Lapua neck thickness to be 90% within .001 of each other.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts