338 Lapua, Retumbo, Berger 300s - Accuracy Loads?

MyTime

Hey folks,

I posted this in a different forum then realized I should have posted in this forum.

I have a new rifle, some components, and I'd like to know what your accuracy loads are if you are using the same. That would give me a good idea where I should start.

Rifle: A new Savage 110FCP in 338 Lapua.
Brass: Norma brass
Powder: Retumbo
Primer: Federal 215 Large Magnum Rifle Primer
Bullets: Berger Elite Hunter 300 Grain

The Berger website lists Retumbo at 85 to 89.5 grains for 2551 to 2680 FPS.

Background info: As is I have just run 25 rounds through it and it is a pussycat with 86 grains. I have a 400 yard range available locally, no further. I got this rifle for target practice but I do plan to get out hunting a few times this year so dual purpose.

Thanks!

I have the same rifle and played around with various powders and loads. Some guys I shoot with were loading in 92 grain range but too hot for my rifle. I did research and found 89.3 grains of Retumbo with 300 grain bullets as an OCW load in practical riflery.... worked my way up to that and 'bingo' 1/2 MOA.... Haven't played with it much since then. I did chrono the load and out of my FCP it was single digit SD and 2715 fps..... work up to it and see what you get.

Last note; I had much better results with Lapua brass..... bought 20 hornady brass for barrel breakin and Tubbs final finish procedure and second firing had those sticking in the chamber. Don't know if they were soft or what but quite a few guys have had problems dating back a couple years. Good Luck

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.