.338 lapua magnum ladder test

AaronEdwardJames

For the .338 lapua magnum with 300 grain SMK,s , what is the ideal distance to conduct a load test. Also what kind of accuracy should you expect from these bullets at ranges from 100-400 metres?

Thanks

I conduct ladder tests at 300 yards from a good quality rest (the rest I prefer is the Caldwell)
The group you can expect from the .338 Lapua is relative to the ability of the shooter. In the hands of an expert rifleman it should easily give you .5 MOA at 100 meters and hold 2 MOA at 400 meters. I've seen a few 5 MOA groups fired with that rifle at 1000 meters.

Attachments

• caldwell.jpg
    caldwell.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 110
Thanks for your reply, the reason why I am asking about accuracy of 300g at close range is because I read over various sites about this and some people say the 300 g don't group well up close but are better grouping further away eg 3 moa at 100 m and say 1.5 moa at 300m it doesn't make sense to me but that's what I've read?

The farther you ladder test, the better. I do all of my ladder testing at least 750 yards . Lots of time at 1000. That is where you will REALLY see your verticle dispersion.

Helpfull hint.....color your bullet tips and use white backing paper. I like to use colors that really show up on target. if there is a question on color, simply use a q-tip and a little alcohol and dab the bullet hole. This makes plotting your shots VERY easy....a lot less running back an forth to the target.

shot 1 red
shot 2 blue
3 green
4 yellow
5 black
6 red/blue
7 blue/green
8 red/green
9 black/yellow
10 red/green

I use a 4 x 4 sheet of plywood covered with white freezer paper. i use a small aiming point, and I like my shots to miss the aim point to the side by at least 6 inches...that way all of the impacts are in the white.

Edit...color bullet tips only...use colered felt markers to color the bullets, but only color the tips...just short of the bullet ojive. Do not color the bearing surface.

I conduct ladder tests at 300 yards from a good quality rest (the rest I prefer is the Caldwell)
The group you can expect from the .338 Lapua is relative to the ability of the shooter. In the hands of an expert rifleman it should easily give you .5 MOA at 100 meters and hold 2 MOA at 400 meters. I've seen a few 5 MOA groups fired with that rifle at 1000 meters.
Not to quibble, but moa is moa no matter the distance. A 5" group at 1000yds is 1/2 moa. A 1/2" group at 100yds is 1/2 moa. A "moa" is 1/60 of a degree (as in 360 degrees around for a circle). 1 moa is actually 1.047" at 100 yards.
And yes, a good 338 in good hands with a decent rest should be a 1/2 moa rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts