338 lapua mag improved

5thspcfrc

hello newbee here i have quite a bit of time behind a rifle but was wondering if anyone with experience with both the 338 lapua and the 338 lapua improved could tell me which is more accurate? where does'nt seem to be a great difference in powder capacity just a difference in shoulder radius.

thanks for any info.

p.s please consider donations to toys for tots a great cause for less fortunate children and the one thing marines do right.

Welcome aboard.

Just a bit off topic, but my 2 cents worth as I have no experience with either of the cartridges you mention but I dare say that there isn't enough experience out there with the improved version that you describe to be able to measure/identify any accuracy differences.

But, if you wish to improve on the parent cartridge you may as well IMPROVE it! Check out the 338 Allen Magnum (search on 338 AM) and you'll see what improvement really means. Additionally its my experience that accuracy is as much or more affected by the craftsmanship in the fitting of the parts of the rifle than the inherent accuracy of the cartridge.

I haven't graduated to that level yet. But my 338 RUM is pretty much the equivalent of the Lapua and is most probably as accurate.

BTW, are you still in?

5th, Acurracy is going to depend on the rifle itself not the caliber as Roy stated. With that said, I don't think the improved has enough advantage over the standard to warrant the extra work involved. I would go with the standard Lapua or call Shawn Carlock and build yourself a 338 Edge. Better ballistics than the Lapua and the only downside was remington Brass. Although, you can now get Nosler brass (I think?) as an option to remington brass. Unlike the Lapua improved, there is no fire forming with the edge, you can form cases on your press.

The Lapua is a great round, Edge is a better round.....AND I SHOOT A LAPUA!

If I did it again, it would be an edge.

I've shot both and didn't notice a great difference in accuracy although we didn't get a chance to get out past 1000. The improved version has about a 10-12% increase in case capacity and really starts to shine with the 300gr bullets. So based on that I would imagine that once you start hitting the 1200 yard mark you are going to start to notice a more significant difference.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.