.338 Lapua in a savage

I have a 7mm rem mag, would this action be long enough? it is a long action, but i am wondering if the ultramag had a longer one

tell me about making ammo, is it as simple as stretching the neck on 300 rum and loading them, or is there more to it than that?

All the Savage long action are the same length. It is just the size of the opening on the bottom of the action that limits the length of loaded rounds. If you don't mind single shot leave it as is. Maybe put in a single shot follower to help loading.

If you require a repeater you will have to get the opening machined to accept a rum mag box and follower. The length of the mag box will most certainly limit your ability to load to the lands with high BC bullets. Not a problem with single shot. Also, if you change to a rum mag box it may affect repeater feeding if you want to go back to 7mm. I'd run the Edge as a single shot myself.

Yep, the Edge is simply a 300 necked up to 338. Redding makes dies for the Edge- it is also called 338/300 RUM. Others use 338 RUM dies and simple neck size and bump the shoulder as needed.

Pretty simple. Now all you need is a barrel, action wrench, nut wrench, and headspace gauges.:)

All the Savage long action are the same length. It is just the size of the opening on the bottom of the action that limits the length of loaded rounds. If you don't mind single shot leave it as is. Maybe put in a single shot follower to help loading.

If you require a repeater you will have to get the opening machined to accept a rum mag box and follower. The length of the mag box will most certainly limit your ability to load to the lands with high BC bullets. Not a problem with single shot. Also, if you change to a rum mag box it may affect repeater feeding if you want to go back to 7mm. I'd run the Edge as a single shot myself.

Yep, the Edge is simply a 300 necked up to 338. Redding makes dies for the Edge- it is also called 338/300 RUM. Others use 338 RUM dies and simple neck size and bump the shoulder as needed.

Pretty simple. Now all you need is a barrel, action wrench, nut wrench, and headspace gauges.:)

Thanks, I really appreciate all of your help on this, I will not be going back to 7MM, so it is a repeater for me, I have access to a mill, and it would be an easy job it appears to open up the reciever....

this is going to be a bit of fun building this thing, it appears the bolt head may be the same as the 7mm also, .002in difference in the head of a 300 rum and a 7mm rem mag....

where are the best deals on 338 edge barrels to be found....

Thanks, I really appreciate all of your help on this, I will not be going back to 7MM, so it is a repeater for me, I have access to a mill, and it would be an easy job it appears to open up the reciever....

this is going to be a bit of fun building this thing, it appears the bolt head may be the same as the 7mm also, .002in difference in the head of a 300 rum and a 7mm rem mag....

where are the best deals on 338 edge barrels to be found....

Yep, your bolt head works fine.

Jim Briggs
Northland Shooter Supply(no website)
[email protected]
763/420-7163 Phone or 763/420-7610 Fax

Shilen Barrel Prices:
Chrome Moly- Blued Match - Any Contour - Up to 26" Long - $225.00

Stainless Match - Any Contour - Up to 26" Long - $239.00

Stainless Select Match - Any Contour - Up to 26" Long - $269.00

Barrels beyond 26" - Add $20.00 for every 2" - 27", 28", 29" and 30" available.

These are prefit in any chamber that Shilen stocks. Ready to screw onto your action.

Last edited:
thanks...

what length do you reccomend?

and does the metal in the reciever come off on one end for the mag box? i am assuming it does, and is removed from the rear, I have not ripped mine apart yet....

If you are talking about removing that mag box, no it is just pounded on the front end to get it out. It's pretty tough to get it back in also...

If you are talking about removing that mag box, no it is just pounded on the front end to get it out. It's pretty tough to get it back in also...

i was referring to the removal of the metal from the rear of the reciever to get a longer mag box to fit into the reciever

Here is a cut and paste from Midway Technical Specs.

Magazine Box RUM, STW, 375 H&H
Product #: 499343

Nominal inside dimensions of magazine box
Length 3.66", width at rear .900", front .883"
Mag Box is approximately .210" longer than a standard mag or 30-06 length magazine box

Oh, and sorry, it is $27 and the follower is $10

wow thats alot shorter than the extended box fro the Rem 700 , well back to the drawing board to desgine a new one.

I'm gonna be building a hot 300 , either a 30-338 Lapua improved or a 300 RUM with a tight chamber soon , my action is a controle round feed so I think it'll be easly fixed.

I'm waiting on a Shilen barrel for my Savage 338 Lapua. It will be using a standard shank and barrel nut. It will be single shot. I'll be sure to post how it works out.

There has been a lot of talk about this round in a Savage lately. Did you ever get it put together?

Interested on how it is holding up.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.