338 lapua hunting loads

gunsmith1012

Just wondering what you lapua shooters were using for your hunting loads. I was mainly a H1000 300grain Matchking guy, but now am looking into going with some of the lighter loads like the 210 accubonds and the hornady match 250s. any thoughts. i played with retumbo in the past but was never really impressed.

My current load with 300gr SMK's is 94gr's of Retumbo at 2870. I want to try some Berger's once I'm out of the SMK's. I was also using 91.5gr's of H-1000 and 300gr SMK's. You can try those at a couple grains less and work up and see how it go's for ya.

Last week I was trying the 225 grain D62 cutting edge bullet in mine with good results. I was pushing it well into the 3300's fps with great accuracy. Run the numbers with the .64 BC and see how it compares to what you have been shooting.

LTLR I am interested in your results with the CE bullet because I have a Yukon Moose Grizzly Caribou and possible dall sheep hunt in Sept 2013. Kirby is building me a 338lapua in his Raptor Stalker series. I topped it with Premier LT and it will be cerokated as well. It should be tough as nails but what I was wondering is what bullet would you recommend. I know which ever one shoots best but I was looking at 300gr Berger and the 225 and 252 CE bullets. Also if you don't want to post your load in this post please pm me and I would like to know what powders you are using with the CE bullets.

Kirby is also building me a 7mmAM right now but I figured everyone would say go with the lapua.
I currently have a Surgeon Built 338 lapua but it weighs with Hensoldt on top 20lbs, also have a kIrby 338AM with nightforce and it weighs 18lbs. Hence the reason for building the lighter weight rifles above.

Thanks and sorry for long post

I would suggest the 338 Lapua for that hunt. That will be a very nice rifle. Guides up there frown on long range hunting particularly for big bears. Inside 1000 yards the 225 grain D62 CE bullet has the best ballistics and has the toughness and energy to kill anything within that range. My guess is on that hunt you will be shooting inside 1000 yards so this would be a good choice. The 300 grain bullets will rock you in a light hunting rifle while the 225's are a pleasure to shoot. I do not shoot the 300's any more in hunting weight rifles.

In my 26" barrel light Lapua I shoot the 225 over 3300 fps with several powders. RE25 is very accurate over 3300 fps at 104 grains in mine but others also shoot very well. If you are planning on doing quite a bit of shooting to 1200 yards and beyond I would try the 252 CE bullet. But for me there is no need to go there in my light rifles which I rarely shoot over 1000 yards. This year the 225 CE D62 out of my rifles took several animals from antelope to elk size in the 900-1100 yard range very effectively. Hope this helps. I shoot and hunt all the time trying to find the best products that suit my hunting needs and report them on here for refference to give shooters other options they may not have tried.

Thanks a million LTLR I really do enjoy reading your posts and how you are willing to help so many others. I will be trying the 225CE bullet then when my rifle arrives.
Thanks again

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.