.338 Lapua for Mountain Goats?

Just Learnin

I ordered a .338 lapua this spring from Dakota Arms. Long story, but they are sending me a .338 lapua on a Nesika action. My plan was (and still is) to use this rifle primarily for long-range elk/bear in north Idaho. However, I was recently invited on a hunt in November for mountain goat/sitka deer at Kodiak Island. My question is: will the .338 lapua be too much rifle for the goat and deer? I assume that the bears will be in hibernation by then? I plan to make a full body mount of the goat. My only other rifle choice is a Browning BAR in 30-06. Will be checking for any postings again this evening. Any advice would be very much appreciated. -- Don

There really is no such thing as too much gun.....but sometimes it ain't practical- like squirrel hunting with a 338.....but in your case you'll be fine.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Might be too much if you had a hunger for some bbq goat ribs!!

Only kidding. You'll be fine.

Good luck!

If i were hunting Kodiak Island the .338 Lapua would be a minimum caliber. I have seen some pictures of some big bruins on Kodiak not something I want to try and kill with an 30-06!!!!

Just Learnin',you have one fine rifle headed your way.While I dont have any first hand experience with Kodiak Island,I dont think that the bears are hibernating during the deer season.In fact Ive heard and read in several magazines that gunshots during deer season on the island can be comparable to ringing the dinner bell. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Dont know how much truth there is to that but the 338,as set up for a deer hunt, (high power scope,+28" barrel)wouldnt be my first choice as a defensive setup against the bruins.Id rather have someone backing me up with an open sighted big bore or at least a big bore hand cannon while deer hunting.
My dream has always been to go there to hunt the bears but at a price of $10,000 for a guided hunt (required for non-res) plus all the extras,I dont see it happening any time soon.
If you make the hunt I wish you all the best of luck and dont forget to take lots of pics and post them here. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks guys, for your responses. Sounds like I'll be fine. I'll come back and post again if/when I bag a goat. Great website; it's been quite informative and inspiring. -- Don

I met a guy in the local gunshop who regularely uses his 375 H&H on NY whitetails. With that in mind, you may very well be under-gunned! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

VH

Just Learnin':

Take what Michael says very seriously. Mountain goats are very hard to kill, especially instantly. I've seen them soak up a perfect hit from 300 mags and not even flinch.

If they are anywhere near cliffs or drop offs you need to anchor them as quickly as possible. If you don't anchor him as quickly as possible he will head for the rough stuff and those pointed little horns do break very easily.

The 338 Lapua is a good choice and will not be too much for the goats. It'll do the job and buck the mountain winds if needed. Just get your hands on it as soon as you can and shoot it at all ranges and get very familiar with it so when the time comes, no matter what the shot, you will be ready.

Good luck on your hunt.

how much is the rifle expected to weigh ? any muzzle brake ?

good luck on your hunt.

To be honest, I'm not really sure. I just emailed Dakota to ask them and will post next week when I get back from out-of-town.

I had originally ordered a .338 lapua on a Dakota 76 African action, 28" #5 lilja barrel w/muzzlebrake, Nightforce 5.5-22 X 50, and a MPI Dakota Classic stock. That one will be pushing the Idaho rifle weight limits. I recently was made aware that Dakota is running behind in production (left-hand action) and would likely not have it completed in time for the November hunt, let alone sufficient time to get in any practice. They were kind enough to propose the Nesika action remedy listed above as a temporary measure. They would then proceed with the original order and at the end of the year I get to decide which rifle I want. That'll be a tough one! The Nesika rifle will have a Mcmillan stock, 28" #4 Pac Nor barrel (I think?), NF scope, and muzzlebrake.

Anticipated delivery date on the Nesika is 9/15 and 11/1 the Dakota. Sorry for the long reply but I wanted to be able to explain better. What do you think the Nesika would roughly weigh in, as described above?

Thanks again to everyone for their help and interest. -- Don

I bought an action from Nesika for a 338LM I'm having built.
Its the model "M" which I'm sure will be what your rifle has if its the 338LM chambering.The action for mine weighs in at 2.6 lbs (1.470" Dia.,single shot configuration).
Being as yours will probably be set up as a repeater it probably wont be that heavy.The Nightforce scopes are pretty heavy by themselves,the 5.5x20x50 is about 2 lbs.
Just guessing,I would say 9 to 10ish.Might be worth while to flute the barrel to lose a little weight.
If you want the gun for your hunt,I'd get on them,it took me 3 months to get my action from them.9/15 for a delivery date sounds pretty optimistic,you might give Richard Spruill at Nesika a call and tell him your hunt date,he might be able to speed things along.

I actually ordered the Dakota this spring with a completion date of 8/1/05. I then found out a couple of weeks ago about the production delay. Richard came up with the solution of building the Nesika. He said his production people would commit to the 9/15 date if he could get the parts together. So he did. I believe that the barrel actually came from one of two that Richard had ordered for his own rifle. While they did not meet their original commitment, they more than made up for it by bending over backwards to meet my needs.

Thanks for the estimated weight. I had originally planned for a nonfluted barrel with the Dakota, but it sure would look nice on the Nesika. I doubt I'll do it though, as I would probably delay the arrival date if I did.

-- Don

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.