338 Lapua data?

ktg

I prefer Retumbo with Fed 215 & 300 gr. MK
If you want to neck turn your brass, Redding now makes an s-bushing die.
For seating die, Forster Ultra.
Shell holder RCBS 14 with lapua brass.nullnullHodgdon 338 lapua data

KTG
What velocity are you getting, What barrel length, What kind of groups and at what distances?

Here are some pics.Pics.
1/2 grain of powder either way & groups open up to 3/4", a full grain and they open up to 1 1/4".
Seating depth is 0.010" from lands. 0.005" either way and it opens up to 1".
I also have a regular 338 Lapua being rebarreled by Pac-Nor on a sako trg-s action. From what I've seen, the only advangage to the improved is better standard deviation on loads that are compressed with the unimproved version.

[ 11-01-2002: Message edited by: ktg ]

[ 11-01-2002: Message edited by: ktg ]

Hi, I am in the process of gathering reloading components for the arrival of the 338 Lapua. Rifle has a 26" Pac-Nor barrel.

By the way I probalby won't be neck turning brass and if I do It will be very slight.

I was planning on using the 300 Grain Sierra and possibly the 250 Lapua Scenar. I have already ordered several pieces of Lapua brass. I was thinking of using Federal 215 or 210M (as per a reccommendation from Steve Shelp). I haven't played with anything this large before and have no idea of what powders I should use.

Also What dies should I be looking at? I was thinking Redding Competition dies but am open to other options.

Shell Holder: I heard the 338 Lapua uses a weird size shell holder, what size will I need for my Rockchucker press and my Lee Handloader.

Thanks guys.

[ 11-01-2002: Message edited by: sr90 ]

I was shooting my Lapua just yesterday, it really liked 250 Lapua Scenar with Rel 22 and Fed 215M.

You can't use the Lee Hand Primer with the Lapua, you'll need the RCBS version or use your press to prime.

I have standard RCBS dies and they work well. I have a Redding shell holder, I don't remember what size and I am leaving tonight to go deer hunting, so I can let you know on Thurs if no one else does.

Let me know if you need anymore info.

Jim

I like R25 in my 338 lapua improved and 300g SMK. You might want to try H1000 also or H870. The lee auto prime will work but you'll have to grind on the body of the lee auto prime for the large case to fit use a # 8 shell holder. The press type shell holder is RCBS #09214 for Lapua brass. Good luck and hope to here how your rifle works for you.

Crow Mag

I think I will be trying H1000 but it is still up in the air.

Do you guys shoot moly coated 300 grainers or non-coated?

Crowmag

I will be getting the rifle in probably three weeks. I will definitely let everyone know how it shoots.

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.