338 lapua bullet seating

sniperboy

Hi to all, and happy new year.

I am loading my 338 lapua with maximum loads and read that, when loading hot loads up should seat the projectile touching the lands. I normally seat the projectile 20 thou from the lands.
Can i get some advise on what people recommend with bullet seating and whats the difference in the projectile touching the lands or not touching.

Thanks
Sniperboy

Last edited:
Hi to all, and happy new year.

I am loading my 338 lapua with maximum loads and read that, when loading hot loads up should seat the projectile touching the lands. I normally seat the projectile 20 thou from the lands.
Can i get some advise on what people recommend with bullet seating and whats the difference in the projectile touching the lands or not touching.

Thanks
Sniperboy

Bullets with high bc like bergers actually recomend that you load into the lands 5 to 10 thousandths.

But I would load into the lands if you want then start low on my loads and work up. You never know when you might go to high and either go boom or need a sledge hammer to open the bolt..

I seat mine .020 off for the Sierra 300 SMK. Seat it where you get the most consistent accuracy.

For slow fire matches I seat a lot of the Berger VLD's into the lands for best accuracy. I do not like to seat my hunting rounds into the lands. It makes bolt closure a little more difficult and sometimes the bullet will get pulled when taking the unfired round out of the weapon.

Are you saying you have sings of pressure with this load ? if so I wouldnt try it in the rifling, start lower and work up. you max load is going to be with less powder if you put the bullet in the rifling.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.