338 Lapua bullets

marioq

OK... Here is the new thought that I have..... I chalked up my losses to Long shot rifles and Chris to many things I can't say here... But I am thinking a Mcwhorter 338 Lapua Mag. Kinda have a choice of the round I want and I was looking for input... DOnt really want a 300 gr bullet... So, I am thinking 225 Accubond (recommended by Mcwhorter)
Or some other round, but I must confess my ignorance here as I am not sure what the real difference is between the bullets in terms of performance and end results... I mainly am worried about killing elk and other animals. Not a bench gun.....
It sounds like he has a good load worked up with the accubonds but just want to get some of Ya'll's input... Thanks

Mario

You can check out cutting edge bullets site they have some impressive 225gr and 252gr solid copper hollow points in 338. They have good bc's and good performance on game. The only problem I see with them is they are on the pricey side!! I hope this helps.

elevation, windage, and energy will be much worse using the accubonds, they only have a .550 bc. It defeats the purpose of having a 338 for long range. The high bc bullets are what make the big calibers so great...

what about the Barnes copper with the longer boat tail?? I saw that they have 338 and 338 lapua (is there a difference in the bullet) in everything from 215-250 something..
Just curious?

Get a 300 win mag and use your accubonds or triple shocks in the 180 grain,it will be cheaper and kill elk very well,stepping up to the Lapua 338 in my opinion uses two bullets for me the 300grn smk or the berger hybrid 300 grainers both shoot well for me at 1500yds and beyond. For me thats using the Lapua to its potential!:)

I have a 300 mag now and I love it!!! Wanted something to get a NM elk at 1000 yards.... Also, the 300 gr SMK, according to people I have asked, are seated into the powder and that could be a potential for a problem....

The thing I find interesting is that the BCs are listed all over the place... In fact, Berger has a G7 BC and a G1 BC... WHy is that??
I am just asking so I can have Mcwhorter work up the right load for me....
Thanks
Mario

If you go to bergers web site thier is info on the diffrence between the G1 and G7 ,they can explain it better then I can! As for killing a elk at a 1000yds the 338 edge or Lapua with the 300 grainers would do it.However I suggest a lot of practice to make that shot!

Most shooters that I know get velocities from 2750-2840 with no problem with powder,(compressed loads) I shoot a seekins detachable mag with no problem my accuracy node is right at 2790fps you can also go single shot and seat the bullet how you want .

He's trying a load with 250 gr scenars to see how that shoots compared to the 225 accubonds.
Also, I am going to search this but, I want to get a reload setup. Have no clue how to do this but are there classes??? I am also gonna look for books and videos. Figured y'all are the bet, dense, knowledge base available.
Thanks and I'll let y'all know

Dont let these guys fool you. The 225's work great in big 338's. The big 338s can get you up to 3100+ FPS with them. At a .550 BC and 3100 FPS you still have enough velocity to open the ACCUBOND (1800'/sec) out to 850 yards. Thats AT sealevel in 59 degree air. Run those numbers at 7000' where the elk live and it will get you past 1K. IMHO, the 225 ACCUBOND works better than the 300 SMK on game. Or the Berger for that matter. The windage, while not as impressive as the 300 grain pills, is very respectable. In fact, in most cases, it beats the highly esteemed 6.5x284 in the windage departmment. The ACCUBOND and the Berger VLDs are not an apples to apples comparision, but the 6.5x284 running 140 VLDs at 3000'/sec, only beats the 338 225 ACCUBOND (@3100'/sec) by 4" at a full 1k yards in a full value 10MPH wind. This is a testimony to the 225's capabilities in a large 338 mag.

All things concidered, the 225s have a seat at the big 338's table.

Last but not least, you will be happy with the Scenar if you keep it to paper. You will be VERY dissapointed with them on game. At least with some other match bullets you get expansion some of the time.

I echo above post. I shot alot of elk w/225 plain spitzer, and partition out of my 340 wby, out to 850. They work past that just did not shoot farther. Also the 250 NAB would be a good choice, and there is 285 hornady Barnes has a 265 and 280 LRX

Wow!!!! Michael, that is a tremendous amount of information to think about and you laid it very well. I was asking for the scenars, but with your insight, I think I might have to go back to the accubonds. At the end of the day, I want to kill animals, not wound them and I could give a dang about paper!!! I'm a hunter and not a competition shooter. If I go that route, I will find a target load. Besides, I am now trying to look into a reloading setup which, I am all ears if anyone wants to chime in on a setup.

Thank you so very much for your insight. I have read the scenars are pretty good but I've not seen them discussed in killing. Always Ben target shots and groups so I do appreciate you real world experience.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.