338 Lapua 250-285 grain hunting bullet suggestions

I just got my first 338 Lapua rifle this week. The rifle is a TRG-42 1-10 twist.
It came with a box of Berger 300 grn hybrid OTM bullets and a lot of once fired Lapua brass. I want to save the 300 grain bullets for some 1000 yd work and don't want to work the barrel harder than I need to. (I've been working with H-1000 powder.)

My goal is to shoot hogs under feeders at long range, (night and day). I can see 4 different feeders from our lake levee from between 600 to 800 yds.
I shoot Sierra Game kings out of most of my rifles when hunting...260 Rem, 270 WSM etc..
I don't see any Game Kings heavier than 250 grain.

1) any experience with 250 gn .338 Game Kings? Load suggestions?
2) any suggestions for a 285 gn or similar weight in a hunting bullet? Load suggestions?

we have a lot of very large hogs and I love it when they don't know where the shots coming from. Lots of follow up shots. Most bed down in the lake bottom and come running back until they figure out where shots are coming from.

Last edited:
You could use the 250 grain SGK's, but there are newer, better designs available.

Berger has released 250 and 300 grain Elite Hunters, with MUCH better bc's. Both are available at the moment.

Hornady offers a 285 grain AMAX, though @ .720 G1 bc I don't think it would offer any advantage over the 250 Berger EH. Hornady also offers a 250 BTHP that is inexpensive and has a decent G1 bc @ .675ish. Neither of these are hunting bullets per se, but both could work.

I cant locate a decent selection of .338 bullets or Retumbo here in my part of South Texas.
Now that reloading components are starting to get back on the shelves, where would you suggest I find the best selection / deals online?
Thanks
Herb

For the range your talking a NAB 250 would work fine,that is a chip shot for a rifle like that.A friends TRG would almost one hole at 200,it wasa outstanding shooter.

My gun looks like it is going to like the 285 AMAX. Have only done load development work at 300 yards with worst group shooting MOA and best at 1/2 MOA. Load is 89.6 gr H1000 Lapua brass Fed 215's at .010 off lands.

Is yours a TRG? With the 300 grain Berger HYbrid OTM bullets my magazine well length is not letting me reach the lands. Long taper before the olgive.
My rifle shot 2" group at 400 yds with Hornady 285grn Match factory ammo. This was my first experience with the rifle.
Indeed 285 seems to be a good balance. But the Hornady info says the 285grn AMAX "these match bullets are not recommended for hunting"

A 300+lb wild boar packed with mud is a pretty tough package. Although 285 grains of bare lead at those speeds will probably do the trick!

I cant locate a decent selection of .338 bullets or Retumbo here in my part of South Texas.
Now that reloading components are starting to get back on the shelves, where would you suggest I find the best selection / deals online?
Thanks
Herb

There are a lot of online vendors worth keeping an eye on. Midwayusa.com and Graf & Sons are two that come to mind. There are others...

Indeed 285 seems to be a good balance. But the Hornady info says the 285grn AMAX "these match bullets are not recommended for hunting"

A 300+lb wild boar packed with mud is a pretty tough package. Although 285 grains of bare lead at those speeds will probably do the trick!

Bear in mind that the AMAX bullets have been found by many to be excellent long range hunting bullets, regardless of how Hornady intends them to be used.

Realize also, that Berger bullets have become "hunting" bullets because individual shooters working to push the limits discovered that Berger "Match" bullets were very effective in the field. Berger was at least smart enough to listen to the feedback and respond by introducing a line of "Hunting" bullets.

Whether or not these bullets will fit your hunting style is an open question. I have observed that many of those who dislike/distrust such bullets for hunting are often folks who prefer to shoulder shoot elk and/or do not hesitate to take the "Texas Heart Shot", as opposed to folks who are looking to take the traditional behind-the-shoulder, heart/lung area, meat-saver shot. If you fit into the first category, you would probably be happier with a bonded bullet, a partition, or a mono-metal of some kind.

I have used the 300 grain Berger and it is accurate and really kills. I tried the Hornady Match 285 and it did not shoot as accurate as I wanted. The bearing was long and the diameter was fat so I couldn't get the velocity I wanted. You can try the 300 Berger jumping and some guns shoot them good jumping .120 or more. I use the Elites and have had all one shot kills with most dead in tracks. Hornady makes a hollow point match in 285 and that is the one I was talking about. I don't know if they make a AMAX. I use RE33 and get great accuracy and velocity with the 300 Berger Elite. The RE33 gave us 100 to 150 more velocity over all the other powders and most shot 4 to 5 inch 5 shot groups at 1000. The Berger Elite was also faster and shot more accurate then the 300 Sierra. The difference in killing was that great, that my buddy switched from the Sierra to Berger Elite after he saw how my gun killed. I like heavy bullets when shooting big tough animals because I believe you get more penetration and exits. Matt

I went and looked and Hornady makes the Match and AMAX in 285 grain 338 bullet. I didn't like the match because my 600 yard groups were not good. The Berger shot better groups at 1000 then the Hornady did at 600. Matt

I have shot lots of deer and hogs with the 285 Hornady, both Amax and BTHP with good results. I have also used Berger 300 gr. OTM and Elite Hunters. The Hornadys seem to kill quicker foe me.

Mr rifle is a lowly Savage 111 LRH which isn't pretty but it sure does shoot for less than a grand. The info I shared was from memory, which I should not trust, so here are the corrections. 88.5 gr of H1000' .030 off lands which allows for loading the mag, velocity of 2720 with a SD of 4. Not smoking but easy on that very expensive Lapua brass.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.