.338 for long range

robinsg61le

Hello Shooters,

I am considering a new rifle. I prefer one rifle for antelope-deer-elk-moose-brown bear out to long range (800ish). I currently have a .300 PRC and I adore it (ultralight with extremely light recoil and w/.33 groups consistently). The one knock on my .300 PRC is that in order to get the performance I require, I have not been able to reduce the length of my barrel under 24".

I would like to add a suppressor to my gun, but I am not willing to add several inches to my already long overall length.

I have been seeing .338s more recently offered with 18" barrels and I am really tempted. I could add a suppressor and still be shorter overall than my current rifle.

So... Here are my questions for you custom .338 guys:
1) Is it possible to build or purchase an 18" barrel, ultralight .338 with low recoil? -like similar recoil to a .270 with no break? (currently my ultralight .300 PRC kicks about like a 22-250 - seriously)
2) Would it be common for such gun to have the capability to shoot .5 MOA?

Thank you for sharing your experiences. I'm not interested in starting a debate or discussing with folks without first-hand knowledge. Please - no hijackers. Thank you.

Last edited:
I had the same experience with an older .300. It rattled my fillings loose. That was with an older style break.

Technology has come a long ways. The modern engineered break I have on my newer .300 makes the recoil like a youth gun. I'm wondering how that might translate to a .338. And yes, I'm being quite serious.

First of all, you haven't disclosed the .338 cartridge you're wanting to shoot.

Second, I for one would like know the manufacturer and model of brake you're using on your .300 PRC rifle.

Thanks!

:)

Im open to any 338 that would allow for an 18" barrel, I think. These guys built the break on my ultralight .300. It's amazing. They could give you model information...
1673377474322.png

Is this the style brake you have on your .300 PRC?

64956752_1568343506628963_1483678688418463744_n.jpg

This is the one they're showing from Facebook since the website is down.

In fact, the best muzzle brakes can reduce recoil by almost 50 percent. That is incredibly helpful. I have Darrel Holland brakes also from Oregon.

Weight of the rifle effects felt recoil. My 338 Lapua has a 28 inch barrel to get the higher FPS. More foot pounds of energy also mean recoil.

Average Recoil (ft.lb)
.338 Lapua Magnum.338 lapua Mag,300 win mag
10lb Rifle12lb Rifle12lb Rifle

270 usually hits with about 16 ft. -lbs. of recoil energy, the . 243 produces only about 8 ft.

I believe the style I have is the one that is sleek to the barrel. I would be curious to test my ft pounds of recoil. Any idea how to do that?

Your chart is helpful. Looks like the recoil of a 338 is going to be double what I have now... probably more than I care to absorb even with the best break.

So... Here are my questions for you custom .338 guys:
1) Is it possible to build or purchase an 18" barrel, ultralight .338 with low recoil? -like similar recoil to a .270 with no break? (currently my ultralight .300 PRC kicks about like a 22-250 - seriously)
2) Would it be common for such gun to have the capability to shoot .5 MOA?

Thank you for sharing your experiences. I'm not interested in starting a debate or discussing with folks without first-hand knowledge. Please - no hijackers. Thank you.

Yes, it's possible but experience a suppressor doesn't provide near the recoil reduction compared to a quality brake. It's all physics and an UL 338 without a break will get your attention.

What you've left out is your performance expectations. What bullet and velocity do you have in mind?
The only one I could see meeting your recoil requirement is the 338 Federal. But, I don't think that's going to meet your performance expectations regarding bullet weight and MV.

As to the second question, yes and good smith using quality parts can make a .5MOA UL rifle. It won't be cheap and will likely take some good hand loading to find a load that will shoot but it's certainly possible.

It's all a compromise and typically the less we're willing to compromise the more it cost.

Cost won't be a concern for me but I don't think I would be willing to go back to a gun that couldn't shoot close to .5 MOA.

I'd like to be able maintain at least 1500 ft lbs at 800yds...

It may be that this imaginary rifle simply can't be built, but I thought I would try to see if anyone has pulled it off.

When ever a friend tells that they flinch or they are afraid of the kick of their rifle I just say come on over and we will go shooting and your little rifle will feel like a plinking gun.

Then I pull out some of my max loaded 510 grain .458 win mag rounds. If you shoot 5 - 10 rounds everything else seem wimpy! :) My 30-378 would create about 4000 foot pound of energy with a 200 grain. 285 gr .338 Lapua mag is about 5300 and the 458 is @5500 foot pounds with a 500 gr.

When ever a friend tells that they flinch or they are afraid of the kick of their rifle I just say come on over and we will go shooting and your little rifle will feel like a plinking gun.

Then I pull out some of my max loaded 510 grain .458 win mag rounds. If you shoot 5 - 10 rounds everything else seem wimpy! :) My 30-378 would create about 4000 foot pound of energy with a 200 grain and the 458 is @5500 foot pounds with a 500 gr.
What is the barrel length on your 30-378? Also how is the accuracy?