338 edge savage 110 bull barrel. No muzzle brake...

300 Rum without a brake is very harsh on the shoulder and jars your head. Couldn't image shooting my edge without a brake. Your going to need a sled with all the weight you can stack on it to get more than a few shots off.

I have an edge with a 30"sendaro i have shot mine with out the brake was not as bad as i thought.

Maybe I'm getting old, or maybe, I'm tired of getting beat up, I've shot quite a few heavy hitters in my day, including a 378 webee.
That was brutal, and NOT mine.
My 300 ultra was enough gun for me. I'm convinced that too much of that WILL cause a flinch, and I really believe it did hsve an effect over the years.
Must admit, he took it pretty well.
OUCH THOUGH, STILL

Maybe I'm getting old, or maybe, I'm tired of getting beat up, I've shot quite a few heavy hitters in my day, including a 378 webee.
That was brutal, and NOT mine.
My 300 ultra was enough gun for me. I'm convinced that too much of that WILL cause a flinch, and I really believe it did hsve an effect over the years.
Must admit, he took it pretty well.
OUCH THOUGH, STILL

Luckily I'm only moderately sore after 30 rounds. it was getting a little painful towards the end, I think a thicker recoil pad and maybe some lead/mercury tube under the barrel channel might just do the trick.

Some tool asked me to do load development on his 9# (w. scope) .300RUM w. no brake pushing a 230 Hybrid. I told him "no thanks". He was not real happy. I loaded up 5 rounds and told him to go shoot them and let me know the outcome. After the first round, and a crescent shaped cut above his eye, he put a brake on it. Then I did the load work up for him.

Some tool asked me to do load development on his 9# (w. scope) .300RUM w. no brake pushing a 230 Hybrid. I told him "no thanks". He was not real happy. I loaded up 5 rounds and told him to go shoot them and let me know the outcome. After the first round, and a crescent shaped cut above his eye, he put a brake on it. Then I did the load work up for him.

Ohh I learned a long time ago how to not get scope bite. One time I was shooting off my buddies truck and decided to let the butt pad of his 270win sit a little to high on my shoulder and it slipped right on over the shoulder when it recoiled. I also found out that old school Leopold scopes had really sharp edges

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.