.338 edge+p OR .338 lapua+p for long range elk rifle

As others have said, based on the bolt face an Edge is the way to go.
I personally carry a 338 LAI with a 24 in proof. I also shoot the 252 MTH. I get 3000 fps with my 24 in barrel. Rifle weight 11 pds. with bipod and is an honest .5MOA gun with incredible ES's.
You look too happy in that picture!!!!!!
Nice Bull!
Semper Fi
Len

I'm a bit confused as to why you don't like the Remington action with the >338 Norma? Please explain. Thanks.
It's not just the .338 Norma, it's any cartridge with the larger lapua sized case head. The larger diameter puts more bolt thrust on the action, and the Remington action is on the minimum side as far as the size and strength of the bolt lugs and abutements, and because of that they are much more susceptible to bolt lug setback, generally the bottom lug that is already compromised die to having the feeding ramp, and less material than the upper lug. It can be done, and Remington even makes a couple, as well as Christiansen arms, but there isn't a lot of extra insurance as far as strength, and loading over pressure, which many people do, can be too much for them and cause issues, especially over time. So in general, it is better to get an action with a larger bolt diameter and stronger bolt lugs and abutements if someone is wanting to run a .590 bolt face cartridge, or take the risk and be very careful with your loading.

Had you Considered .340 Weatherby - straight style stock - or do you already have everything except caliber Choice ? I have 26" on a 700 & shooting 215 TTSX @3200 - carry it all day (even @ my age) - in the foothills & Cdn. Rockies 👍👍
wouldn't want to do that with my 338 Ultra Rogue 🤦‍♂️😉{difference between 9# & 15# 338's}
I love a 340 Weatherby, I had one that got stolen.

Last edited:
My father has one as well and loves it.
I love a 340 Weatherby, I had one that got stolen.
Mine is my "Go to" Elk Rifle - Custom made in 1995 on Remington Action - Chet Brown Kevlar/Fibreglas Stock that I pillar Bedded & Sporting my Ole Pride & Joy - ( Loopy VariX2 6-18 LR with my Custom Designed PREMIER RETICLE - modified - FFP, etc…..) so sorry yours got stolen - B4 I had this one made I had a Euromark that I regret selling -
keep ur Powder Dry, LRB

3F64819B-DD8C-4B7A-8BE9-2759B82249A6.jpeg

I have a 338 lapua AI and it's a hammer. Pierce titanium action. 28 inch proof. T3 terminator. Manners eh1. 300 bergers at 3030 FPS. If you build something like this I recommend getting a bigger action like others have mentioned.

Another suggestion would be a 338 RBH (338 NM improved). It can match 338 edge velocity with a 26 in barrel and the 300 berger. I have a 24 inch barrel on mine and use the 260 Hammer bullet at 3042 fps. 3 animals taken with it last season. 2 elk (850&450 yards). 1 mule deer at 465 yards.
I had a Edge for a number of years. 30 inch barreled rig. That was a PIA to pack. This present rig is so much easier to pack and shoot. View attachment 282822View attachment 282830
Looking into a two rifle system. One option is 338 & 7 prc or 6.5 prc. Could I get more details on our rifle details, scope, and where you got it. From your experience with it, anything you would do differently?

Looking into a two rifle system. One option is 338 & 7 prc or 6.5 prc. Could I get more details on our rifle details, scope, and where you got it. From your experience with it, anything you would do differently?
The 338 is a absolute hammer
Rifle was built by Travis at RBROS rifles. 9.4 twist proof barrel. Defiance action. Manners MCS stock. Trigger tech special trigger.
Topped by a Nightforce ATACR 5x25. It's at 12 lbs with a bipod.
If I did it differently it would be the stock. I'd go with a eh1 or a LRH.
My experience with it has been very good.