338 edge or 338 ultra mag

Big Al

Don't know if this is the right place for this thred so if it needs moved please move. Im looking at building a big bore. I reload and not worried about fire forming. It will have a 28 barrel. Is there much difference in fps between the two. I will be shooting 225 or 250 noslers. Let me know what you guys think. I have been around a edge but he was shooting 300 grain bullets.

My hunting partner runs the "Edge" and I use the standard RUM. He probably gets across the board about 2% more velocity. Our choices probably reflect our personalities more than any technical advantage. The rifles and optics are slightly different as well. I'm a bit more conservative, and like that if need be I can get factory ammo. However, RUM ammo isn't so available as to be a factor. Having the barrel stamped the same as the ammo can be a benefit if you cross many borders. I took a .358 Ackley Improved into Canada with cases headstamped .300 H&H. For whatever reason this raised a flag with the border guard, and I got the most thoroughly searched I've ever been. I guess he thought I had another gun I wasn't declaring. He did let both rifle and ammo pass when he was done a couple of hours later. This was pre 9/11 so I was able to retain a little dignity. Again not big reasons, and I could change and not blink. I think your decisions about the rest of your setup: optics, stock, mounts, barrel, gunsmith will have more to do with how satisfied you are with the rifle.

I think if you are going to stick with a 28" barrel and 225-250g bullets, having the extra capacity of the Edge is a waste.

The RUM is better suited for the shorter barrel and lighter bullets.

I just went through what You are and decided a 338 edge for if I ever choose to shoot the big 300 grain smk or berger I have the extra power. For now though I plan on using 225's and maybe 250's. I think that either way it will be a hell of a rifle.

Last edited by a moderator:
I went with a 338 Norma mag, article above in product review section. Designed for 300, but would work well w/250, factory Norma brass and I have forester dies

I would say the Rum if you don't plan on using the 300 smk's.

sp6x6, which action did you build your norma on,im planning on a 338 norma for my next build i already have the barrel.

I went throught the same problem several years back. I chose the 338 RUM, so I could shoot factory ammo if needed in a pinch, also, the rifle caliber stamp would match the ammo stamp, as I travel outside the country often. This one reason alone, was the single most factor that made me select the RUM. Foreign countries can be a real pain when it comes to the ammo matching the rifle caliber. I had trouble with a 300win and 300wby before.

Having said that, my 338RUM shoots 225 TTX's and 250 SMK's with excellent accuracy. I have yet to get the 300 SMK's to shoot well. I have since ordered a 338 Lapua, but plan on keeping the 338 RUM, as well. My RUM has taken the largest of the African Plaines animals with one shot kills using the 250SMK. I plan on shooting a Hippo with it. (Brain shot)

300 R , Built it on a Defiance,one piece bolt.Factory ammo is available for this , factory Norma brass also

i have no exp. with the edge but i love my ultra mag. i have consistent 1st shot hits at 1000 yds. 225 nosler ab's and 92 gr. 7828. they chrono around 2975 avg. not smokin but hard to mess with the results. its nothing special just a rem. 700 bdl in lh with a 6.5x20x40 vx3 on her. its a heck of alot of horse power.

I have had my edge now for 2 days and am loving it. Still breaking in the barrel and seeing where pressure signs start to show. With 300 bergers i have had it up to 94gr. of h1000 with no pressure. Set it up to be a carry rifle and with my NF on it its 11 lbs. Never shot a 338 ulta mag (would be plenty of gun) but the edge has more horse power and is as simple as necking up brass (pretty simple as wildcats go). I have also heard bad reviews of the 300 ultra nosler brass but all i can say is that its great. All weights came in within .5 of a grain and at 94.gr. still not showing pressure id say its some pretty tough stuff.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.