338 Edge modified case for oal gauge

Swamplord

Does anybody make/sell a 338 Edge modified case for the Stoney Pt oal gauge ?

I necked up my 300 Rum modified case neck to 338 then to 348 but now it wont fully enter the chamber and the bolt wont close.... wont work this way so i necked it back down to 338... anybody got an idea as to opening the neck up ?

I took a fireformed brass and used that. Fireforming opened the neck up enough that the bullut easily slides in and out. I'm not sure why you necked your's up to 348 because my fireformed brass worked perfectly. I suspect your neck is too big to chamber now. I ordered a tap and use it to make all my modified cases now.

ya thats what I did for my buddies rifle.. necked up to the edge and fireformed it.. then I just used my tap and die that I got to make modified cases and thats all she wrote.. works awesome.. you can get the tap, die and drill bit for like 14 bucks.. the same amout as one modified case if you have like a 338 lapua.. so its the way to go.. hope this helps

I just got the rifle from my smith and havent had a chance to fire any rounds off, was gonna use my 300 RUM modified case necked up to 338 then to 348 for initial loads then send in a fire formed case to get done, the 348 neck up was something I tried but it did not work...

I guess I'll have to use the old "feel" my way to the lands to get an oal, just wanted to make it painless and quick but did not happen....

where would I get the drill, tap and die set and what are the sizes ?

thanks for the responses !

i made one for my .264 win mag from a 7mag modifided case. I just necked it down with 264 sizing die and then just hogged it out with the appropriate sized drill bit.

Thanks to all who responded !

I ended up seating a bullet in the modified case ( 300 RUM necked up to 338) and pulling it numerous times hoping it would loosen up the neck, it did but not enough, I then used an 11/32 ( it measures .342") drill bit to clean out the neck and that solved the problem, I should have thought of that... dameet !! (thanks Z !!!!!!!) I now have a 338 Edge modified case !

Still want a gauge thats fireformed in my chamber so I hit the web and found some taps as cheap as $4.99 but they wanted $32 shipping to Alaska !! one place had them for $5.49 but shipping was almost $50, WTH ? It's not like mail is delivered on clear sunny days by dogsled or sumptin ! C'mon guys put that sucker in a stamped envelope and send it !!!!

Anyway... found a place that had them for $9.45 plus flat ups rate of $7.99 delivered to my door in Wasilla, AK by brown truck... not dogsled !

https://drillsandcutters.com/qualtechdwtst516-36p516-36hssplugtapspecial.aspx

should have said something.. I would have just sent you the tap and drill bit in a envelope lol.. I have a few of them... would have been like 10 bucks total:)

Aww Kaseyfield ! youse a nice guy !!

I just had one delivered about a 1/2 hour ago, took 6 days from that outfit I mentioned earlier
and by now I have some fired 338 Edge cases to make me a fireformed modified case for my rifle, gonna end up making fireformed cases for all my crap............

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts