338 Edge load data needed.

Stevewix

I just finished up my development with the 300 SMK, and ended up with 93.5 gr H1000 over a Win WMR primer and OAL of 3.75". This was my tightest grouping round with a nice cloverleaf at 100 yards. Target load=finished.

Which brings me to the start of my big game ammo, I chose 225gr Nosler accubonds, mostly because I have a box laying around :). Realistically I need these shells to go 'minute of elk'. Does anyone have load data for the 338 edge with the 225 accubond, or can someone recount their results with varying charge weights and save me about a pound of powder and box of bullets? In most practical cases I don't trust myself enough to shoot at anything other than a 'yote, woodchuck, gong, etc. at more than 600 yards.

with 250 gr bullets you'll be in the 95-99 range with h1000. the 225's will be in about the same range. this would be with 250 primers.

Steve,

You are of course welcome to use what you like, but the 300 SMK works really well on elk out to some stupid distances.

That's understood, my only concern is taking a shot that's only 100 yards away. I've had a dangerous many 'red mist' shots taken with previous rifles and handloads, the only kill-em-dead bullet I prefer based on weight retention, controlled expansion and ballistic coefficient is the Nosler AB.

I know this is longrangehunters.com, but I consider any range I need to make an adjustment to be 'long range'. It's not very often you hear of someone bragging about a 90 yard kill.

Last year I took a BIG 6x6 Bull at 92 yards. First and only shot I've ever even had an opportunity to take that close. That said, will the SMK work on something say, as close as 100 yards away? If they will I'll make it easy on myself! :) Thanks again Shawn.

for shooting elk, i don't think you'll find a better bullet than the 300gr match king. it will flat out hammer an elk at any range. Crow Mag shot one a couple of years ago at twenty some yards. of course he also shot one at over 2000 yards with the same bullet.

Last year I took a BIG 6x6 Bull at 92 yards. First and only shot I've ever even had an opportunity to take that close. That said, will the SMK work on something say, as close as 100 yards away? If they will I'll make it easy on myself! :) Thanks again Shawn.

300 Grains of lead from a 338 bore is going to leave a permant mark through the lungs of any unlucky Elk from the muzzle to waaaaaaaaaaaaay out there....

I shoot a lot of mk`s

in old mexico we compete shooting at running live sheep @ 400 meters and belive me those mk`s are nasty... and I have shot everything from 22-250 at the sheeps with almost 1 body lead, to 178 and 208 amaxes from 308s with almost four to 5 body lentghts of lead...

the nastiest are the mk´s, one shot kills. I wouldn´t think twice using them on elk.

just my two cents...

Joe

90 grains of H-1000 clocks out at 2850 fps

it is not the fastest load but i am no hurry to shoot out my barrel and the energy is plenty good way out there....but anyway i had a good chance to test it out a few weeks ago...my first shot was at a white tail doe at about 80 yards in the front shoulder...she got spun around hard and the sound it made when the bullet hit was a pretty good wack like i have never heard before..i found meat and hair chunks 20 feet away from where she layed flat. what was left of the one front quarter was pretty much bush meat..nice test but i dont think i will use this rifle for a shoulder or lung shot on deer again..the accuracy of this gun is increadible..maybe head shots only for deer.. the blood shot travelled into the whole one side of the ribs as well..trust me i dont think expansion was a problem at this close range..

few days latter i had a chance at a bull elk at about 60 yards..i like the chest shots with most animals and so that is where i went with this one..right through the heart and lungs..i have never seen an animal that big go down so fast from a chest shot..it took maybe 3 steps and fell down dead..i was really hoping for the 800 yard plus shot which is why i built the rifle but that is not the way it turned out this season..but i did learn one thing..expansion is not a problem..shoot elk like deer with this beast..no need to mash the front shoulder thinking the thing will run..one shot one kill.... have fun..

Shawn carlock, are the Berger 300 vld usable for elk??? Or should I use otm hunting bullit. And do you have any load data for the bergers?? Oh yeah .. I want to shoot ok up to 500 out to 700 yards..thanks Whapaho.

I use the 300 gr. Accubond with 85gr of Retumbo. It's very accurate in my 338 RUM at 400 meters. For just target I use the Berger 300 OTM with the same load very accurate. It's not the fastest but I prefer accuracy and anything meeting the path of this will drop dead!

are the Berger 300 vld usable for elk??? Or should I use otm hunting bullit. And do you have any load data for the bergers?? Oh yeah .. I want to shoot ok up to 500 out to 700 yards..thanks Whapaho.

I don't think the 300 gr VLD is available yet. If they are I have missed them. But we have taken many elk with the .338 / 300 gr OTM's with great results from 200 yards to well past 1000.

The new 300 gr Elite Hunter is now also available and one you should also consider.

For load work up in the Edge, I would start with 88 gr. of H-1000 over a CCI 250 and work up toward 92 gr watching for pressure and accuracy as you approach 90 to 91 gr. or so. Seating needs to be fine tuned in your rifle but I would start about -.020" off the lans.

Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.