338 edge info

Twisted300Win MAG

I'm building a 338 edge. I'm looking on info on loads and brass. What brass are you guys running. I see people nexking up Remington brass. I'm told it doesn't last long. Has anyone used the Norma brass? Also this is my first cartridge I'll be be necking brass up. Is it best to use an expander die or just run it through the 338 die? I don't want to sound ignorant but this is all new to me. Also any load data for the 285gr eld m would be helpful.

Thanks
Donald

I use ADG brass works great. You will not have to expand the necks it comes in 338 already it is 338 edge head stamped brass.

I've been using necked up RP brass in mine with no issues. Some are on their 5th reload and no culls yet. I'm feeding it 300gr Bergers with 91.5gr of H1000.

COAL is 4.0" so it's a single shot.
Action is a Stiller Predator on a Benchmark 1-9 twist barrel finished at 28". Trigger is a Timney Calvin Elite. I put it all in a Bell & Carlson M40 stock.

Anyone using a Remington action and successfully get it to feed from a mag? I'd like to use an action I already have. I have a Rem 700 and a Weatherby Vanguard both long action magnums.

Anyone using a Remington action and successfully get it to feed from a mag? I'd like to use an action I already have. I have a Rem 700 and a Weatherby Vanguard both long action magnums.

I use a 700 action with a wyatts box extender. Can load to almost 4" COAL.
The dbms can't quite get all the length needed for heavy bullets.

I too am kind of new to long range shooting as most think of it beyond 600 yards. I have a Browning A bolt in 338 Win Mag that is/has been my hunting rifle for over twenty years. I have taken several deer over 500 yards with it and am very comfortable shooting it. My hunting partner had a 338 Edge built for him last year. Now I have the bug and am in the process of having a 338 Edge built for me. Beginning stages of having one built I should say. I have ordered a Curtis Custom Helix action that should arrive at the gunsmiths in a few weeks. I ordered a 30" Benchmark 1:9.4 Barrel that will be a few months out before it is shipped to the gunsmith. I am scope shopping now, currently I have it down to a Nightforce NXS (I have a Nightforce SHV on my hunting rifle) or a Leupold VX 6HD. I will have this all put on a Pendleton "tactical" stock with the adjustable length of pull and adjustable comb(Cheek piece).

Now my question, for those of you that are purchasing 338 Edge brass what brand do you recommend Bertram and Atlas are the only two that I have seen on the web. I want to purchase some brass, dies, and powder and have some ammo loaded up and ready to go once the gunsmith in Pendleton finishes building my rifle. Nothing I hate worse than having a new toy and not being able to play with it.

Thank you,

Jim Bradbury

I too am kind of new to long range shooting as most think of it beyond 600 yards. I have a Browning A bolt in 338 Win Mag that is/has been my hunting rifle for over twenty years. I have taken several deer over 500 yards with it and am very comfortable shooting it. My hunting partner had a 338 Edge built for him last year. Now I have the bug and am in the process of having a 338 Edge built for me. Beginning stages of having one built I should say. I have ordered a Curtis Custom Helix action that should arrive at the gunsmiths in a few weeks. I ordered a 30" Benchmark 1:9.4 Barrel that will be a few months out before it is shipped to the gunsmith. I am scope shopping now, currently I have it down to a Nightforce NXS (I have a Nightforce SHV on my hunting rifle) or a Leupold VX 6HD. I will have this all put on a Pendleton "tactical" stock with the adjustable length of pull and adjustable comb(Cheek piece).

Now my question, for those of you that are purchasing 338 Edge brass what brand do you recommend Bertram and Atlas are the only two that I have seen on the web. I want to purchase some brass, dies, and powder and have some ammo loaded up and ready to go once the gunsmith in Pendleton finishes building my rifle. Nothing I hate worse than having a new toy and not being able to play with it.

Thank you,

Jim Bradbury

I neck up 300 rum Norma brass. A little more cost effective.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.