338 edge COAL in relation to speed

Screwey1

In an earlier post I spoke about a 300 Ultra mag that I have that needs a new barrel.
I like the idea of the 338 edge, so I did some research on it only to hit a snag.
Every 338 edge shooter I read about is loading COAL from 3.85 to 4 inches.
Their velocity with 300 grain bullets were around 2800 fps.
My rifle is equipped with a DBM with an inside measurement of 3.7 inches. The ejection port is only slightly larger.
The advantage to the 338 edge , from what I understand, is the ability to put lots of powder behind a large bullet.
I did run some comparison ballistics between the 300 with 210 gr berger and the 338 with both a 250 and 300 gr berger. Using a bullet speed of 2600 with the 300gr in the 338, the only measurable benefit out to 1000 yards really was energy. Wind drift difference was only minimal. Not sure if I can get proper seating depth with a berger due to my earlier listed restrictions, so it doesn't seem worth it, but I don't know....( hence the reason I am here)
I then ran some comparisons with my second choice bullet. Barnes 200gr LRX in the 300 and the 280 gr LRX in the 338. Again , only minimal benefit.
These were all using fictitious 338 numbers because I have really no knowledge of what to expect, but figured 2600 fps with a 300 gr bullet was a safe assumption, but if I can realistically expect 2800 from a 300 gr or 2900 gr from a 250 gr, then there are benefits. However , then comes the seating depth question. Bergers are finicky and I wouldn't have much room to play so maybe it won't shoot them at all. That was the reason I looked at the Barnes 280 gr. LRX.
However , without some concrete information, I can not make an educated decision.
Does anyone have any experience or information about this? Am I wasting my time with the 338 edge idea, or would adding 2" barrel length to a 300 be a better benefit? (current length is 26")
Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Complicated....

I single feed so much, I don't know why I care about mag length but it's stuck in my brain for hunting.

I'm running Hornady 285s at 2634fps on a 3.75 COAL, 29.25" Barrel. Very accurate.

I'm changing my Wyatts box out for a Weatherby TRR box so I can get to 3.81 without changes. More work will follow that will get me a mag fed 4".

However, with the 285s on 86grns of H1000, I have very nice accuracy with no load development. If I start pushing it, yes I can get to 2800 easy, 2900 pretty sure, more I'd bet on it.

I have not shot the 250s or 300s yet. Too much fun with the 285s but with validating my QL model, I think I can hit 3050fps with CEB 252grns MTH and 2800fps with something like a 300grns Berger OTM. Of course will there be accuracy at those speeds.....

Complicated....

I single feed so much, I don't know why I care about mag length but it's stuck in my brain for hunting.

I'm running Hornady 285s at 2634fps on a 3.75 COAL, 29.25" Barrel. Very accurate.

I'm changing my Wyatts box out for a Weatherby TRR box so I can get to 3.81 without changes. More work will follow that will get me a mag fed 4".

However, with the 285s on 86grns of H1000, I have very nice accuracy with no load development. If I start pushing it, yes I can get to 2800 easy, 2900 pretty sure, more I'd bet on it.

I have not shot the 250s or 300s yet. Too much fun with the 285s but with validating my QL model, I think I can hit 3050fps with CEB 252grns MTH and 2800fps with something like a 300grns Berger OTM. Of course will there be accuracy at those speeds.....

Hornady A-max?
Any thoughts on CEB for hunting? Hadn't even looked at these , they advertise pretty impressive BCs

Hornady A-max?
Any thoughts on CEB for hunting? Hadn't even looked at these , they advertise pretty impressive BCs
At the moment the BTHP, sorted, trimmed and tip pointed. It's to much fun to mess with.

I have the Hdy A-Max .338 285grns but have not loaded any.

As for CEBs, I have MTH_D59 252grns to use in the 338/26 Nosler. These are a possible for my cow elk hunt in December. The tactical rifle in 338/300 RUM (aka 338 Edge) is too heavy for a hunt.

I have tried several of the 30 cal CEBs but never on game. I know what TTSX do and I'm really looking forward seeing what happens with the CEBs in the same setup.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.