338 Edge at 2000 Yards

Shawn,

Sounds fun. Your definitly pushing the envelope........

Google earth seemed to get you really close. Impressive.

If you want something better, 1 meter accuracy advertised, let me know the county in which your shooting and target spots are in. Hopefully they are the same.:D Back east it may be a problem.:D Stitching two counties together can be tricky.

The county images are fairly easy to come by, depending:rolleyes: The software is a freebie.
The hard part is the GIS expert that brings it all together. That would be me:rolleyes:. And I'm older and cheaper than dirt.:D

What is the effecive range of an edge on animals...assuming the guy pulling the trigger knows what he's doing.

I will go ahead and plug Shawn's latest DVD "Send It". This DVD will show the capabilities of the 338 Edge---great DVD for the serious long range shooter.

Jim

OK, so I thought I'd give this a shot yesterday with my Edge and found a spot with a pretty good size impact area that ranges 2120yds by GPS measurement. The conditions were 70 deg, 3490', 30%RH, 26.52BAR. Exbal calls for 81.25MOA and I ran out right at 79.5MOA (NXS5.5-22x50 & 40moa rail) so I dialed in 78.25moa and held the last 3moa with the reticle. I figured around a 10mph wind coming from 11 o'clock which was probably variable between about 8-12mph. After a couple sighters, I determined I actually needed 82moa and the 5.5moa wind was all the better I could guess for the varying wind.

Wind is definitely no joke at this distance and the only way I was ablet to get a decent group (~1.5moa) was to crank off 3 rounds as fast as I could to try to catch a condition. I did however get 4 shots to land in about .5moa vertical x 2moa horizontal area when I employed this rapid rate of fire although they missed my aiming point by about 2moa in windage.

Below are some pictures of the bullets I recovered. Impact velocity ~1125fps
ehya8k.jpg

4 shot group...well maybe better called a pattern:)
2hfs96f.png

Last edited:
O man those results are nice.. almost comparable to cheytac 200..

Edit:Actually if you developed some nice loaded lehigh or boretech you might be able to close those groups quite a bit tighter..

Last edited:
I've shared your post with lots of buddies. They are as floored as I am. Great post.

Tom

Last edited:
I can't wait to burn out the barrel of my .300wm and turn it into a .338. gun) But having the gun, and shooting it that well are two different thing. Those who can pull off shots like that are very talented, and I salute members of that group. In ten years I hope to be close enough to be in your neighborhood, but I don't think I'll ever be on your street.:)

Last edited: