338 Edge, 300 gr Berger, 776 yard Bear

Clicked standard pressure? Is this new or because of the hurry? Have u found this to be close enough or only out to a certain yardage?

I clicked std pressure simply because we were in a huge hurry and for the distance only being 776 I knew it was plenty close enough. Also earlier in the day i set up the computer and taken readings, std pressure and station pressure were only .1 difference. I couldn't have just used a chart though because my chart was off far enough from actual elevation that it would have been just about 1 moa off. A 7" difference in elevation on an average size bear probably would not have made for much of a hit.

Berger has the bullets and Sinclair is susposed to have them.

I'm sure I'll like those bullets, not sure about my taxidermist. What value for BC are you running? I'm coming up a little short on my POI with my gen IIs. It could be a whole mess of things, I'm just trying to cut down on trouble shooting time.

The G1 bc of .818 worked well for us out to about 1000 yards or so then we started to come up a little short. I edited the multiple BC values to correct this out to 2500 yards. The veloicity could have been part of the problem there are so many combos of velocity and BC figures. Out computer is dialed in for us right now.

Shawn,
If I may ask a question. I use the g1 of .818, but seen in exbal on my HP I can add multiple bc's for different ranges/velocities. How does one figure out what to input for varying bc's the farther you go out? Something is not quite acting right past 1,000-1,100 yards.
Thanks
Bob

On editting multiple BC's you will need good solid data about your actual drops at distances. You need to get this data from several different days in the best conditions possible. Then simply go into the edit multiple BC's function and set velocity limits and change the BC's to make the chart match your actual drop figures. This requires some more shooting and valadation after you are finished changing it. We were ably to get the computer ( after several tweeks and adjustments ) to match our actual drops out to 2500 yards. I hope that adequately explains it.

On editting multiple BC's you will need good solid data about your actual drops at distances. You need to get this data from several different days in the best conditions possible. Then simply go into the edit multiple BC's function and set velocity limits and change the BC's to make the chart match your actual drop figures. This requires some more shooting and valadation after you are finished changing it. We were ably to get the computer ( after several tweeks and adjustments ) to match our actual drops out to 2500 yards. I hope that adequately explains it.

I have been working on this a little before and a lot since I took Shawns advanced class. As Shawn said it takes time. Plus I recommend you shoot paper , wood or steel to find drops. 1/2 moa mis calculation from a dust ball off a rock will upset your curve. You need solid data to the 1/2 moa or better at many yardages. Plus I recommend doing it on flat ground if possible and all at the same azmuth. You will be surprised at how many actual BC and velocity limit entries it actually takes to get to 2000 plus yards.

Jeff

Congrats you guys! Good hit.

Berger sent me to ReloadingInternational.com several weeks ago for Gen 2's.

Litz velocity banded G1 data:

1,500 fps = .755
2,000 fps = .821
2,500 fps = .833
3,000 fps = .854

So, G1 with 'lower velocity limits' of:

3000fps = 0.854
2500fps = 0.8435
2000fps = 0.827
1500fps = 0.788
0 fps = 0.755

Didn't make a hill of beans difference in firing solution from using Exbal using the averaged lower velocity limit above or the .818 overall average G1 Berger puts on the box (firing solution was the same using both .818 average and the Litz G1 velocity banded data) two nights ago at 580 yds and 15 deg down angle on a small framed 4x4 Muley on the High Buck Washington State hunt. Like Broz said, probably doesn't matter too much out to 1200 yds or so which you use. I haven't played much with it yet, though. The velocity banded data might be a better starting point for longer lr shooting though. Don't have a program that accepts G7 yet, so still using G1.

Very curious as to what Shawn is using for G7 (I assume G7 and not G1...?) velocity banded data...or is this not what you are doing, Shawn?

Congratulations to all for doing it the classic pro way, Andrea earned that big grin.

I have been reading about the Berger, good to read this. Thanks for sharing !

OK the disclaimer first, the BC's we use work with the velocity readings we got, the range finder we use and the weather station. If your baseline reading were slightly off it would affect the BC readings. Also at extreme distance can Coriolsis effect cause some elevation changes... you bet and this would also affect the BC used. What I can tell you is that we shot out to 2600 yards to test subsonic performance on multiple occasions and many distances between 400 and 2600 yards. This the info we used:

Muzzle Velocity: 2835 fps

.818 lower velocity limit 2200 fps
.762 lower velocity limit 1400 fps
.724 lower velocity limit 0 fps

This data worked really well for us at any distance even when we got so far out we had to top the elevation out, turn the power down to 11x and hold all of the NPR1 reticule to hit (110 MOA). You may need to tweek this to work with your individual setup though.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.