.338 calibers

You can get the Titan from John Lazzeroni which is a big 338. I talked to him quite a bit at the shot show and he had some very nice looking rifles that are light for hunting and pack a big wallop. The 338-378 wby accumark is the most common widly distributed rifle with the most power for long range hunting of large big game. It is as accurate as any over the counter rifle and nothing over the counter with available ammo will compare to the long range ballistics of the 338-378 wby. It is my personal favorite of all my long range rifles. I shoot a 225 grain .64 bc bullet to 3500 fps. There is nothing over the counter and hardly any wildcats that will compare to it in a hunting weight rifle. Just run the ballistics on anything you want and see what I mean. That is why I shoot it so much. This year I made an 1130 yard shot and two 960-970 yard shots with the rifle. All three one shot and down. When you get good with a .64 bc traveling 3500 fps most hunting situation shots are just plain fun and way easier than with most rifles. That is 700 fps faster than most guys are shooting the 300 grainers, No comparison. I see used accumark 338-378's in the $1100-$1300 range all the time that look as new. If you look at the quality of the rifle and the power you get it is a bargain. If it doesn't shoot you have a great action to rebarrel that will hold anything you want to put on it.

I agree the 338-378 is a great round but my problem is I cant get over Weatherby actions. They seem very clubby if that makes sense. How are your actions LTLR? also you mentioned you like them for backpacking, what do they weigh with optics.

The only way to beat a wby mk 5 action is to get a custom. They are the best factory action out there by far. Where did I say that I like backpacking my 10 3/4 pound long range 338-378? I have done it and did it this year to hunt a particular spot but I have lighter rifles for that purpose usually. This particular spot required the 338-378. If a guy wants one of these big boomers for extreme long range hunting he must sacrifice a little weight for an action that will safely hold it. The mk 5 accumark weighs in comparably with other factory rifles however the difference is it has the strength to chamber the big boomers like the 338-378 wby safely. My primary 338-378 wby hunting rifle weighs 10.75 pounds scoped out and ready to hunt with a 28" barrel. It will put three shot groups through the kill zone of an elk silhouette at 1500 yards. It does that with a few inches better wind drift and over 200 inches of drop better than the 338 RUM, 338-300 RUM and 338 Lapua shooting 300 grainers. That is why I shoot it. That is about as light as you can build a rifle with that kind of capability.

Just ran it again on jbm to make sure. 257" less drop and 12" less wind drift than a 300 smk going 2800 fps. In a hurry I just ran it at sea level to 1500 yards with a 10 mph wind. Now you see why I shoot what I do. I have been doing this 35-40 years.

It might of been a different thread that you said something about backpacking. now that I think about it I think you said Tikka in 338 win. sorry. Can you post pics of your 338-378 by chance? I would like to see it outfitted. You have my wheels turning now. Also what are the chances you could call the 338-300 RUM an Edge just one time. I know it raises your blood pressure. Thanks:D

I too would like to see some pics and know what components you used for this 10 3/4lb scoped out 338-378.

I had a 300Wby Accumark that I sold last summer with a simple little 1 in tube 4.5-14x40 Vari X III. No heavy pic rail just a basic set or rings and mount. It had the factory #3 fluted 26in tube with no brake and I weighed it many times on different scales and it weighed 3 ounces under 11lbs. Also used to have a 338-378 Accumark that tiped the scale well over 12lbs but it had a NF on it so not a fare comparison.

You have a 28in tube + brake and it weighs the same or less. WOW, impressive!!!

Try a Trg 42 if you dont like the Mark 5, but it is 11 3/4 bare. 60 degree, 3 lug. I think LTLR HAS ONE OF THESE ALSO, pretty sure he has 2 of everything:D I would like one as my plinker rig gun, rock buster at extreme

Just weighed my primary 338-378 wby hunting rifle again to be sure at 10.75 pounds. It is a mk 5 action, 28" #4 contour Hart 1-10 twist barrel with KDF muzzle brake and a Mcmillan stock. I built it many years ago I think in the early 80's. I don't remember if the Mcmillan stock was the original I put on it or I did that later. I have more rifles than I can keep up with. I did not realize the accumark was that heavy.

SP6x6, My 338 Lapua Sako TRG's are the original ones that came out in the mid 90's and I do have two. They are not the new 42's.

It does not raise my blood pressure a bit to call the 338-300 RUM an edge. I happen to respect Shawn quite a bit for all he has accomplished and he is the one who calls it edge out of his shop so I am very happy for him. I am a retired rocket scientist and not a pro gunsmith so I don't care what a guy calls it. I did have a hobby gunshop and built quite a few rifles developing numerous wildcats to see what shot the best. I call it the 338-300 RUM because that is what it is. Since most guys started doing that thing in 1999 every gun shop gave it a different name and it has probably a 100 names. That makes it very confusing. I started doing it in late 1998 and I know I was one of the first or the first to do it off the RUM case. I was the first one I know of to do it in quantity putting quite a few in the hands of elk hunters from 1998-2001 and the first elk killed with one was probably one I did and the elk was killed in Colorado. I just stick with the standard nomenclature so wherever I go a guy knows what it is instead of trying to remember all those different shops names for it.

Just weighed my primary 338-378 wby hunting rifle again to be sure at 10.75 pounds. It is a mk 5 action, 28" #4 contour Hart 1-10 twist barrel with KDF muzzle brake and a Mcmillan stock. I built it many years ago I think in the early 80's. I don't remember if the Mcmillan stock was the original I put on it or I did that later. I have more rifles than I can keep up with. I did not realize the accumark was that heavy.

SP6x6, My 338 Lapua Sako TRG's are the original ones that came out in the mid 90's and I do have two. They are not the new 42's.

It does not raise my blood pressure a bit to call the 338-300 RUM an edge. I happen to respect Shawn quite a bit for all he has accomplished and he is the one who calls it edge out of his shop so I am very happy for him. I am a retired rocket scientist and not a pro gunsmith so I don't care what a guy calls it. I did have a hobby gunshop and built quite a few rifles developing numerous wildcats to see what shot the best. I call it the 338-300 RUM because that is what it is. Since most guys started doing that thing in 1999 every gun shop gave it a different name and it has probably a 100 names. That makes it very confusing. I started doing it in late 1998 and I know I was one of the first or the first to do it off the RUM case. I was the first one I know of to do it in quantity putting quite a few in the hands of elk hunters from 1998-2001 and the first elk killed with one was probably one I did and the elk was killed in Colorado. I just stick with the standard nomenclature so wherever I go a guy knows what it is instead of trying to remember all those different shops names for it.

I made it down to the Accumark 338-378 or the HS Precision HTR 338 lapua. Is HS Precision good rifles.

Taken a guess, but I think the Sako trg42 could run with the HS. I saw where a guy shot a 2'' group @ 500 with his. Or if you want to spend more fun tickets a McMillian Tac-338 in Lapua or Norma

Long Time Long Ranger ,,,,

I agree with you, the two fastest commercial 338 mags available are the 338/378 WBY and the Lazzeroni 8.59 (.338) Titan ,,,,

for anyone to neck up a 300 RUM to 338, and then boast of those kinds of velocities, is just trying yet again to attain bragging rights, without regards to actual chamber pressures ,,,,

Kirby's Raptor I am pretty sure is the improved Excalibur case I mentioned. It is the biggest thing out there before going to the chey-tac case.

There's isn't much room for improvment in the Excalibur case IMHO. I know APS keeps there wildcat specs closehold (as they should if they so desire), but that case is already at a minimum body taper @ .0053 TPI....shoulder is already 28 deg...neck is just a shade over a caliber long.....

The load I settled on for my Excalibur looks like-

122 gr H-50 BMG
F215GM
300 SMK
.002 worth of neck tension
Neck sized only
3082 fps avg over 8 shots
ES 16 fps over 8 shots
31.25" barrel from bolt face to muzzle crown
Brux 10 twist

But as was stated before....I'd look real hard at the realistic ranges you plan on hunting. IMHO-The performance advantage of the bigger cases/bigger bullets is only seen at ranges that quickly surpass the realistic shot opportunities presented as a result of constraints of enviro conditions, spotter/shooter ability, and ranging/ballistic computing solutions.

Honest tough question for APS and Lazzeroni....not looking to stir anything up-

Does Lazzeroni or APS do pressure barrel testing?

Kind of hard to put a number to pressures without that isn't?

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.