.338 Caliber....Lots I dont understand

338 WM has roughly 15 grains more fuel.

If it's only breaking even with a 338-06, something's not right.

My 338 WM Rem 700 SS 24" barrel through my chronograph goes 2935 FPS. It was 2928 through another chronograph. 225 gr. Nosler Partition.
I have shot this load since 1994 in this rifle as a hunting load. This load was low in old books, but right at max with todays loading data. Primer pockets are tight and bolt opens easy every shot.

I checked all my loading books. They list the 338 WM at 150 to 200 FPS faster in their data bases. than the 338-06.

Ammo availability will mean a lot also. Only a couple companies list 338-06 ammo.
If you are traveling with the rifle hunting. Guns Shops I have been in in Alaska and Canada stock 338 WM Ammo. Seen one store with Hornady 338-06 in stock.
Good Luck in your choice, Happy Shooting.

All the same .338 bullets, the only question is how fast can that cartridge case design make it travel ! A big one can always be loaded down but a small one can have trouble going up, the only problem is the old physics equation, for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction, shoot a .338 rum and compare that to the .338 federal !! Stick with the time tested old .338 win mag, hard to be at if you can only have one !

338-06...225 gr Hornady slug at 2700 FPS and it generates "X" foot lbs.

338 Win Mag...225 gr slug at 2700 FPS and it generates THE SAME FOOT LBS..!

Why would I NOT WANT to shoot the 338-06 and save some of my poor old shoulder.??

Tell me why if you can!
Go with the 338win because I can drive the 225ab or hdy to 2900 fps in my #1 in 338win.
I can also drive a 250 grain sierra to 2750 fps in my 338win...

My 338 WM Rem 700 SS 24" barrel through my chronograph goes 2935 FPS. It was 2928 through another chronograph. 225 gr. Nosler Partition.
I have shot this load since 1994 in this rifle as a hunting load. This load was low in old books, but right at max with todays loading data. Primer pockets are tight and bolt opens easy every shot.

I checked all my loading books. They list the 338 WM at 150 to 200 FPS faster in their data bases. than the 338-06.

Ammo availability will mean a lot also. Only a couple companies list 338-06 ammo.
If you are traveling with the rifle hunting. Guns Shops I have been in in Alaska and Canada stock 338 WM Ammo. Seen one store with Hornady 338-06 in stock.
Good Luck in your choice, Happy Shooting.

What load are you shooting?

I've been doing a lot of research on the 338-06 and from what I've seen in others posts, 2800 FPS (or so) is probably top-end for a 225 grain bullet while the 338WM doesn't really show its legs until you get into the bigger bullets where the greater powder charge can be leveraged to better extent.

In my mind the real value of the 338-06 is the ability to leverage a standard long action and provide about all the heft you can get (notwithstanding the 35 Whelen) from the 30-06 cartridge family. I've got a Ruger M77 MKII in .270 Win that's already slotted to become a 338-06 someday as my "heavy" woods gun. I'm hoping to leverage it for hogs, thick GA woods deer and possibly black bear someday. If I ever go Moose hunting it would be what I reach for.

It's definitely not a true "long range" chambering IMO, but would deliver definitive ft/lbs of energy inside 200-300 yards with respectable ballistics for large/semi-dangerous game.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.