338... a revisit on a specific build.

This is my .338 LM build. I definitely recommend that caliber. 28" Proof Research barrel, McMillan A3 stock. Rifle as pictured is 12.5 lbs. That's with a 2 lb ATACR on it. I went with the longer barrel for (close to) optimum velocity.

Attachments

• 20181115_183643.jpg
    20181115_183643.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 228
I've built a number of 8-10 lb 338 RUMs and they really are a pleasure to shoot with a quality brake and a 250 hr bullet, all 1000+ yard guns with ease. They don't need to be as heavy as guys think but you do have to choose wisely.
OP is going to shoot Suppressed, no brake.

I ordered a Thunderbeast suppressor for mine. I have the brake on it until the suppressor arrives. I feel like it will reduce recoil as much as the brake.

Honestly, if I was the OP, I would build a 300WSM on a long TI action with a 22-23" carbon barrel, and carbon stock. Shoot 190-215 VLD bullets and he will get there with a rifle that will be easy to carry and shoot.

I ordered a Thunderbeast suppressor for mine. I have the brake on it until the suppressor arrives. I feel like it will reduce recoil as much as the brake.

it will not. i have done A-B comparisons w/ a 300 win mag, 6.5x284, and .270 and the brake did keep the recoil down further. the cans were w/ a TBAC 30p-1 and a Silencerco hybrid.

I shoot a 338 RUM w 250 Berger's at 2950 FPS 26 in barrel plus break,guns weigh 9ish bare about 11-12 ready to hunt. It's not bad to shoot but I would not try to go any lighter. I modeled it after a senders. It's just about right for a gun you can still carry around but still settles in nicely to shoot.

If I were to do again I think I would build a 338 Nosler throated for 250 bergers

I shoot a couple of 338 norma rifles. Always with a thunder beast suppressor. Better than a brake in my opinion. It gives more of a shove than a sharp kick. Mine aren't light, 14-15 lbs scoped, but are nice to shoot. I am thinking of cutting one of them down to 21-22 inches just to see how it will do. One is a savage and the other is built on a stiller tac 338. If I build another it will be a single shot. I don't load until I am ready to shoot and it's no problem to have a couple extra cartridges out.

So to answer the first question and IMHO, 338 Norma, Tactical Match Reamer w/ a, 1 degree 30 Lead. When Jimmy Sloane designed the cartridge with Kiff, they designed it to run with 20" to 24" barrels with a twist rate of 1:9.3. (300 grain OTM)
Proof Research does not produce anything in 338 shorter than 24 or26", I would suggest a Bartlein (or any other maker) and cut to length desired.
From here, it starts to become your choice on weight. i.e stock, receiver, other hardware.

I have a 338 Edge on a Rem 700 action with a Thunderbeast Ultra suppressor. The Thunderbeast has a very effective brake incorporated into the suppressor and makes for a noticeable reduction in felt recoil over just a brake and no suppressor.
For your build a Proof carbon barrel with the Thunderbeast suppressor you'd likely have a fairly light but still comfortable to shoot setup.

When deciding on which 338 I was going to buy, I looked at all of them. I ended up buying a 338 Lapua. Stellar cartridge with lots of load data available. But my main factor in deciding was the availability of factory ammo, brass and bullets. You'll never run into the issue of not being able to find brass or ammo compared to the RUM. Too many companies make the brass and factory ammo, so there is no worry.
I purchased a Christensen Arms Classic. It has a 27" barrel + brake and weighs only 7.1 lbs bare. I put a NF ATACR 5-25 on it, and it balances it out very well. I took this rifle on a Kodiak Island mountain goat hunt in October and never noticed it being heavy on my shoulder. It'a a tack driver too. I shoot the all copper 213 gr Hammer Bullet in it and the recoil is less than my 30-06. It's a great cartridge.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts