338-378Wby

Casscade

How does this round run compared to the other 33s (lapua,Ultra,340) What can you get with a 250 and 300 MKs. Can you break 3000 with the 300. Also hows the accuracy with this round. Will do a 28 inch 5.5 bbl if I do the wby. Thanks for any replies.

338/378

It is the most powerful of the factory 338's

As for the 5.5 barrel it's going to be mean unless you install
a break.

Thats the reason I like the #7 taper (tames it down and no
muzzel break)

As far as 3000 fps from a 28" barrel "maybe" but with a 30"
probably.

J E CUSTOM

Hello,

I easily get 3000 with the 338/378 using the 300gr Sierra and retumbo.

James

What barrel lenght and how many loads before your brass has loose primer pockets..........How manny grains of Retumbo?

Casscade; I have a 13 lb, 27 1/4" barrel, rifle that I've started working up. So far, 2760 fps with the 300 smkhp and 110 gr of H-5010. Very mild, 3/4" 5 shot @ 100yds. I believe I can make 2800 fps, maybe not with 5010 though. I expect to get down to 1/2 moa. I don't think I have enough barrel to get 2850, pushing hard.

IMO, a 5.5 is way too light for a barrel over 26" in this caliber, let alone 30".
JECustom is right, it will be unpleasant without a brake, and the brake is unpleasant to hunt with.

Chawlston, ditto jwp's questions. I haven't had any luck with Retumbo. What primer do you use? 3000 fps is a great neighborhood!

jwp, I get 3-5 firings before the pocket gets too loose.

There's been a lot of good discussion pro and con about the Wby calibers and guns recently. The MK V's are my favorite actions, and the only factory action that I will build a .378 based caliber rifle on.

Tom

Have 3 lapuas already and just wanted to do something different. Was hoping I could a 300 at 3000 fps with this round out of a 28 inch pipe.

I am still working on the original brass that has seven firings on it, 106.90gr on my acculab scale (was 107gr on the RCBS). Federal 215 primers. I am at sea level which is higher humidity (read lower BC) and quicker to hit a pressure limit. You guys higher up in altitude have an advantage on burn rate and bullet flight. Anyway, this is a very good load for my gun which is a Hall Express in a McMillan McHale stock with a 29" cryroed (didn't realize that until now) K&P fluted barrel. I have found that these custom actions will take a tad more powder prior to showing pressure signs.

Chawlston

One more minor point..... I tune my loads different than most. I first find the point of land engagement and use this for pressure testing. Secondly, I pick a starting load and increase the charge exactly 1gr at the above seating depth. When I encounter a sticky bolt lift, I stop and then back off one grain as this is the starting point for tuning the load. Next I load them up in batches that are incrementally seated .010" deeper with each test batch and then select the best based on chronograph and group size. I have switched exclusively to the Hodgdon extreme powders and usually are tuning the load in the high eighty degree temp range to ensure I am operating at the peak temps I will see during hunts. I only shoot in the first three hours of the morning prior to mirage being present. Hope tis helps.

Chawlston

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.