338 300gr. Nosler CC ?

The Nosler bullet measures 1.725" whereas the SMK is 1.70 inches so it is not an exact duplicate of the SMK and the From Factor is probably different accounting for the different BC with the same SD.

Good point. All the 300 grainers would have the same SD.

Maybe inputting a G7 BC would correct your drops. Maybe something around .390 for a G7.

I would be careful generalizing across calibers.
These were shot in full out custom Benchrest rifles. These guys try everything that hits the market. They tried the new Hornady and the Nosler. I just didn't try them in 338. Why would I want to when my gun shoots 4 inches at 1000. The only bullets you see on the line is Berger and Sierra. Once in a great while somebody will shoot an A-Max which is the only bullet that will come close to a Berger or Sierra for accuracy. Now these are 10 shot groups at 1000 yards so it kind of takes the luck thing out of the picture. Matt

Demand for a product drives the price and availibility. Id be trying the Noslers if it
were me. As for less clicks with the Bergers so what, thats what dials are for. The
285 hornadys are just as flat as the 300 SMKs at 1500 yds in a 338x378. You know
what? Weve never killed a deer at 1500 and very few others around here ever have either.
That said weve killed lots of them with Hornadys and SMKs and had we used Noslers no doubt those also.

Good point. All the 300 grainers would have the same SD.

Maybe inputting a G7 BC would correct your drops. Maybe something around .390 for a G7.

I don't know what was going on at my usual range but today I was out in the desert and confirmed drops at baro 25.5 temp 60 degrees, 2750 fps BC 0.80 - that data got me right on a t870 yards and 1245 yards.

These bullets are good to go.

Not sure why the Berger fans are so quick to write something off, you would think that the more options the merrier everyone would be.

For me they're a godsend, there was really NO load development, I put 92 grains Retumbo in a case and printed a 5 shot group under 1/2" and called it a day.

I could care less what the best bullet is Berger, Nosler, whatever, these shoot great for me.

When you shoot 1000 yard BR you need to be able to shoot 10 shots in 4 inches fairly often or you lose. The Hornadys and the Noslers were tried by many and they would not do it in full custom Heavy guns. These guys spare no expense and they try everything. Some of the top shooters are testing 2 to 3 times a week. I also shoot Sierras and custom bullets so it isn't a Berger thing. My 300 Bergers only cost 130.00 for 250. They are the most accurate and they open up and kill on whitetails. We also shot the Accubonds in a 375-408 Cheytec a few years ago hunting. We ran them at 3600 and they fell out and tumbled at 1300 or so yards. Matt

A guy who has a dead ringer Berger 300 OTM load is not going to read this thread with much interest.

If he's like me, and over the past 10 years has tried Bergers over and over in multiple calibers, but he/I is/am not a bench rest match winner kick your tits in shooter, and who has just not had luck with the Bergers because they're just finicky or he sucks or whatever, well he's looking for something else and he IS interested in this thread.

I don't care what Superman can do, the rest of us are just trying to do our best. And if we follow the Berger guys and fail over and over, we'd be fools to just keep doing that, trying to match somebody else's load that is just not working for us.

So, try the Bergers first. If they work, you're golden.

If they don't, try these new Noslers and the SMKs for that matter.

In my gun they shoot GREAT. Your gun may be different. Each shooter knows or should know that there is no magic recipe, you gotta figure it out for yourself.

If anybody wants to come to Utah, and make a load for me that shoots better than the one that I stumbled across with these 300 Noslers, I'm all ears/eyes/attention.

I'm really new to long range shooting. Until Feb 2020, my longest was 480ish and not with any significantly small groups. 3/4 MOA at best.

Am I missing something here, I thought ALL rifles shot differently even with the same primer, powder charge, case and bullet, seated to the same ogive.

If that's the case, then surely we need to discuss working up loads vs who shoots what projectile better at 1000yards?

I'm quite happy with my current load on what I've learned is a bottom end rifle. A savage 110BA stealth. She is shooting 0.34 - 0.45MOA on a 250gr projectile & H4831SC loading at a moderate 2885fps out to 700yards. Repeatedly. As long as this meat-stick don't mess up. The only change to the rifle is a TA Terminator brake and now I can see my impacts.

I'm ready to start on the 300gr build and am interested in different styles of projectiles and possible loads with Retumbo or H1000. AS that's all I have available and I HOPE my rifle likes it.

When you shoot 1000 yard BR you need to be able to shoot 10 shots in 4 inches fairly often or you lose. The Hornadys and the Noslers were tried by many and they would not do it in full custom Heavy guns. These guys spare no expense and they try everything. Some of the top shooters are testing 2 to 3 times a week. I also shoot Sierras and custom bullets so it isn't a Berger thing. My 300 Bergers only cost 130.00 for 250. They are the most accurate and they open up and kill on whitetails. We also shot the Accubonds in a 375-408 Cheytec a few years ago hunting. We ran them at 3600 and they fell out and tumbled at 1300 or so yards. Matt
I know who you are Matt. lol
So Matt, tell us how many shooters are shooting 338s at the 1000 yd matches?
For that matter how many are shooting a 30 cal? Unless its windy?
And what percentage of shooters no longer shoot factory bullets at all of any brand at the matches?
Now Matt, you know just how long the current heavy gun record has stood.
And you also know how much smaller that group is compared with the one Chronister set in the mid 80s while using a Unertle scope on a 30x378.
Or the one later held by Voniada for almost 14 years.
Other than an element of luck, or the lack of it, how else can those records or the current record be explained?
Starting with the luck of the draw as for the relay conditions when the groups were shot?
In about the last 35 years, and no doubt hundreds of thousands of record seeking rounds fired, the ball has been moved roughly one inch in laymans terms, at least for the 10 shot heavy gun class record.
As for hunting, my many years of observing has shown that the best target shooters arent necessarily the most successful as hunters, in fact quite the opposite is often true.
Were talking about totaly different subjects, other than good shooting being required in both.
In one, good enough is enough, whereas in the other, its never enough.
And some never seem to grasp that.

As for the bullet subject, my opinion is that if it shoots well in your gun, shoot it.