33 Nosler a GOOD Powerhouse .338 for Hunting???

Coyote Shadow Tracker

LRH Sponsor
Is anyone currently or in the recent past using a 33 Nosler???
How do you like it?
Pros and Cons.
Brass available
Is there a "Nosler Following" or did it die down?
The 33 Nosler seems to have pretty good Ballistics for a .338 caliber and a powerhouse for that caliber.

We always enjoy LRH Member opinions!

I have to say it, and all Nosler offerings, have gleaned very little interest from me.
I have used and preferred the RUM or Rigby cases for my own LR rigs, while loving the 338WM for 30+ years to hunt with in many factory rifle forms, which I currently still have my Win Mod 70 EW in 338WM as my lightweight mountain rifle or my Kimber 8400 Select. At one time I had 5 rifles chambered in 338WM, loved them all. Still have my custom 338-06 too, a bit heavy being on a Mauser '98 action, but superbly accurate.

Cheers.

Well was going to give anyone a deal on chambering a Nosler 33 if they liked it. Seems like the 33 Nosler is right around a 338 Win.
I did some reading, but people that like it and use it should be able to give first hand info.
Is this another cartridge that is going by the wayside????
I think that is exactly where it is heading, just like the 338RUM. Will have to see where the 338NM goes, the following for the improved version is gaining far more traction.
Personally, I like big cartridges and the 375 Weatherby is so underrated for LR shooting, just as is many 375 cartridges. They have a similar trajectory to a 30-06, and some are even flatter than that.

Cheers.

I plan on dropping parts off in the next month for a 33 nosler. I picked up 300 rounds of peterson brass so I should be set for a few barrels and a lifetime I'd expect. Even with the amount of tinkering I do, shooting steel for fun, and hunting I think barrel life should be pretty good with the capacity vs bore diameter.

I have a 338 edge now and have had a 338 Rum, 338 Sherman Max, and a 338 Sherman Mega. If my project had a lapua bolt face I would do a 338 norma improved for a mag fed rifle.

I think if you get your hands on some peterson brass you will be happier than with nosler brand. Having peterson brass available is the only reason I considered the 33 nosler. If it wasn't for that I probably would have got a different action for the norma.

I hope you continue on with your build.

I think it's a great case design that will give you a bit over 338 WM. They're very easy to load for an fit well into a magazine.

I've been a fan of the Nosler case for some time and feel like it's almost rum performance with a good bit less powder. My previous 30 Nosler was running 230s at 2980 with H1k in a 26 inch tube. I had ran them to 3050 without pressure but maxed out on capacity.

As said above, buy a bunch of quality brass and you're good to go. I think the 28 and 30 Nosler will be around in component form for quite some time. Looks at the SAUM and WSM's, they continue to hang around in component for as people are still building on them. One could argue the 7 SAUM is more popular today then it was 20 years ago. Although the 7 PRC is going to heavily cut into that popularity.

I'm building a 30-28 Nos right now and think that would be a great platform for a 33 as well due to the slight capacity increase.

IMO while a great case design the Nosler rounds suffer from poor marketing by Nosler and a reputation started by the 26 as barrel burners. The 26 and 28 certainly are barrel burners but that's less of an issue on the 30 and 33. They also suffer from short throats which were likely an intential design to fit in all factory mags. While it holds back capacity a little that's no excuse for this issue when building a custom as there's lots of info on custom freebore reamers to solve the issue. Most will still function in a 3.99" Wyatts mag.

Is anyone currently or in the recent past using a 33 Nosler???
How do you like it?
Pros and Cons.
Brass available
Is there a "Nosler Following" or did it die down?
The 33 Nosler seems to have pretty good Ballistics for a .338 caliber and a powerhouse for that caliber.

We always enjoy LRH Member opinions!
Have not had any experience with the nosler but I do have a 330 Dakota. I think they are pretty similar. I think it is a great cartridge. A thumper on big game but actually not that bad to shoot. Seems to be more of a push rather than the sharp crack of some of the big thirtys.

My friend had 2 33 Noslers built. One for him and one for his friend. Saami reamer. Nosler brass. He did not build them for long range. His gun shoots 200gr BD-2 awesome. I can't remember what bullet he loaded for his friend. Probaly Barnes or Accubonds.

I think that is exactly where it is heading, just like the 338RUM. Will have to see where the 338NM goes, the following for the improved version is gaining far more traction.
Personally, I like big cartridges and the 375 Weatherby is so underrated for LR shooting, just as is many 375 cartridges. They have a similar trajectory to a 30-06, and some are even flatter than that.

Cheers.
Just send all them out of date., unwanted 338 Rum's my way ! Ha ha

Rum Man

Just send all them out of date., unwanted 338 Rum's my way ! Ha ha

Rum Man
Unfortunately, there's still very little support coming from the parent company. I love the RUM, played with a 7RUM when first introduced with the 3 different power loads from Remington and also tried loading to the same parameters and failed dismally.
Have had a 338Edge, and still have a 300RUM, but even getting brass has been difficult. Had to buy Barnes loaded rounds to get brass…

Cheers.