.325 WSM?

Fast enough that it ought to make a handy, dandy elk rifle for normal hunting ranges. I akmost bought one more than once. I had a large 8mm that would shoot 210's over 3200. It was much more like a 338 than a 300. Let a guy talk me out of it. Still miss it, but it was an offer only a fool would refuse.

I run about 2875 with the 200ab from a 22" barrel.
Mine is in a light little package, hs prec pro-guide light. Just a tad under 7 pounds and with the 22" barrel very handy. Decent firepower in the small package.

I am a big user of the Browning BLR and the .325 is available in it. I had thought of it prior to the Grizzly season shut down. I thought it would be just fine in a takedown rifle, for a guide to carry. I had been speaking with several outfitter's about doing some spring hunts at the time.
I just keep my other takedowns in my pack until need be, pretty sweet

Kinda strange to see this post.
I found myself slightly puzzled while ordering 325WSM reamers a couple months ago. And now, I have 3 Carbon6 10twist barrels sitting on the shelf!

We build a rifle we call the packlite here at straight jacket Armory, and a couple of our customers requested a extra barrel for their 6.5PRCs we built them in 325WSM for bear hunting.
Should be a good all around hammer!

I have a 8x338 wm, slightly bigger case capacity I think but very similar ballistically. I shoot the 200 AB in a 20 in. Barrel at 2850. It's a great mid range gun. I use it for horseback hunting in area where 500+ shots aren't likely. I did shoot one bull at 525 with it. Great elk gun.

325WSM great mid range bigger game hunting round. If a guy used a long barrel might the able to extend the range on it a bit.

I would think 220's would be 2750- 2800 out of 26". Lot of bullet for that case.

A buddy use to shoot them in an 8mm mag at around 2900-2950. It was an elk thumper

Thank you, gentlemen.
A friend of mine from Idaho exclusively used a 8mm Rem Mag with 220gr Gamekings. His pet load pushed it to 3040 fps.

Not sure if it means anything to you or not, but if I was still loading for mine, I would use the 200 grain TSX or Accubond. With a 200 grain, I found I couldn't out run a 300 WM with the 325. I was a little disappointed, but at the same time, it was never meant to take the place of a .300 Win. Once I got my mind set right, I really enjoyed that rifle.

With a 26", you should be able to kiss the 3000 mark with a 200 grain (non-mono). The all copper rounds are usually a little longer and use powder space. A 200 A-Frame is 1.235" where a 200 TSX is 1.398". I would start with RL19, or 4831. But then again, I'm behind on powders.

325-WSM-200gr.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah...very useful caliber..I keep saying...I know it is a dead cartridge, but the little 338 RCM continues to Amaze me with 215-250 grain bullets, and a 18-20 in barrel...325 is along the same lines...

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.