308 Win or 6.5 Creedmoor

For shooting whitetails at about 100 yards or less (my usual situation), I can not hardly imagine any discernible difference between the 6.5 CM and the .308 Win, given comparable suitable bullets. I would be happy with either one.

Right now in my small LGS, there are 8 boxes of 6.5 CM factory ammo on the shelf. There is a lot of .308 Win however.

For factory ammo availability, the .308 Win wins easily.

WyoWind

to see all the responses to this exactly how bored we all are, and or it shows how much we like to talk....me included.

To 250 yards, no diff find a gun you like in the one of the rounds and get to filling arks!

Real world a Marlin 336 with a good old K4 on it and some 150 Core Locts would do you just fine for this app....:)

I shoot a 7-08 mostly. I would prefer a .308 over a 6.5 for several reasons. Ammo cost and availabity is one. More power is two.

Geeesh, I was thinking the same thing. Are people seriously that recoil sensitive that 2-3# of recoil is THAT big of a deal?

I don't think its a matter of recoil sensitivity so much as just ease of shooting. I like my .308's, but my 6.5 is very easy to shoot, and performs really well. Because of that, plus marketing, I think it has become very attractive to new shooters. Its not an end all be all cartridge, and people need to understand its limitations (which unfortunately I think they often don't), but its not deserving of the ire and chaffing it and its users get from seasoned shooters.

So I downloaded Hornady factory ammo 6.5CM 143ELDX versus .308 150SST off their website. This is their data out to 500 yards. These are by far normal factory loads most will use for deer hunting. The .308 is continually bashed and yet the data states otherwise every time you run it from factory ammo. The 6.5CM is "flatter" when you get DOWNRANGE but it does not "overwhelm" other cartridges in moderate ranges at all and in fact, barely holds its own or less. In the OP scenario, the .308 is by far a better selection with higher energy in the yardages stated.

Recoil sensitivity IS NOT part of the scenario since the OP has not stated it to be one.

LINK: Hornady Ammo Comparison

6-5-Creedmoor-143-gr-ELD-X®-Precision-Hunter.jpg
308-Win-150-gr-SST®-Superformance.jpg

Op asked what the pros and cons were so I think it is safe to at least address it.
Agree but let's state actual data instead of verbal generalities. Used 7.5 lb rifle as base line. The 6.5CM comes in 2.4 lbs lighter in recoil. The load data is from Hodgdon website for 143 ELDX and 150SST. In actuality, recoil velocity is a stronger reflection of felt recoil and their differences are marginal at best at <1fps.

IMO, the overall recoil difference is marginal at best.

6.5CM-ShootersCalculator-com-Recoil-Calculator.jpg
308Win-ShootersCalculator-com-Recoil-Calculator.jpg

I use both,I absolutely love my creed and if I was taking shots on whitetails 500 plus with good rest would take it all the time.
Hunting in western Kentucky does allow for a whole lot of shots that far so the .308 goes with me more times than not.
With right bullet the .308 shoots flatter and has slight edge in energy out to about 400,after that creed takes over.
Another big plus is you don't loose much going short barrel on .308 which makes it a handier hunting platform (especially with can)out to 4-500 yards.

I compete with a RuGER Precision Rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor because it is ballistically superior to the .308 Win.
PLUS at ranges beyond 300 yards it carries more energy due to its better aerodynamics.

I am converting my SAVAGE 99 lever action from .308 to 6.5 CM for that reason as well. The magazine will easily accommodate 6.5 CM as do teh MAGPUL 7.62 (.308) mags I have for my Precision Rifle.

For hunting the flatter shooting 6.5 CM will permit you to have a greater "margin of error" for holdover.
Eric B.

I killed a mule deer buck at 300 yards using a 130 grain Hornady spire point bullet in my 20" barreled 308. My 6.5 CM has a 22" barrel and using a 120 grain Hornady A-Max would have done as well with a little less recoil. Either cartridge will do the job with proper bullet. My 6.5 Italian Carcano using a 160 grain Hornady (.268 round nose bullet) is pleasant to shoot and has taken everything though bull elk.