308 primer problem?

Red hunter

I bought a Lee auto prime XR the other day. I have always used the press to install primers. Started priming some twice shot Winchester brass that had been tumbled sized and trimmed. I had some CCI # 34 primers and had some real difficulty with seating them. Anyone ever have this problem with these primers ? The primer pockets were cleaned with the the RCBS tool.

Red,

CCI primers tend to run a bit "fatter" than others, and this is quite common with them. I assume you're loading for a military rifle with a floating firing pin? Still, you might try another make (Rem 9 1/2, WLRs, whatever) just to see if that resolves the problem. If you're really worried about slam fires, just remember that the thicker cup of the #34 is offset by primers being seated high, which results in an even greater risk of slam fires. Make sure they're seated at least a few thou below the case head, and you reduce the risk of this happening quite a bit, regardless of the make of primer you're using.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.