308 norma or 6.5x284

russell523

I have a Remington model 700 30-06 I think manufactured 1967. I am taking it in to be reworked into a 308 Norma or a 6.5x284 I am leaning towards the 308 Norma because I can buy a factory 6.5x284 now, any thoughts?

Well it all depends on what you are wanting to do with the rifle. If you plan to do a lot of long range mule deer or elk hunting than the .308 Norma is an excellent choice. I am currently building a custom .308 Norma with a 28" barrel and it will nearly duplicate the .300 Winchester but with less powder and a more accurate case design. Since your Model 700 has a long action I would take full advantage of it. If you want a 6.5mm, which is an excellent long range caliber for whitetail, varmints, and predators, than look into a long action chambering. The 6.5x284 is a good short action shell but really the best options for your particular action would be the 6.5-06, 6.5-06 Ackley Improved, 6.5 Sherman, or the .264 Winchester Mag. I would lean towards the 6.5-06 AI or 6.5 Sherman if I was going to settle on a .26cal just because of their efficiency and versatility. The .308 Norma is probably one of the best all around cartridges ever though and is why I decided on it for my first long range build. Factory .308 Norma brass is expensive and hard to find but do what I did and make your brass out of .300 Winchester cases and get the same quality for half the price. Hope this helps.

Russell523 and Jud96, as you can imagine by my "handle" I 've been shooting the 308 Norma Mag for well over 45 years. My rifle is a 1903 Springfield action with a Shilen barrel. The first iteration was a rechambering of the original military barrel, both have been exceptionally accurate. Keep in mind this is not a light recoiling caliber, and I shoot it very little except on hunts. I am shooting 165 grain Nosler Partitions in front of 70 grains of IMR 4350 at 3050 fps. I have killed numerous whitetails, several mule deer, and a couple of elk all with the same load. No reason for the heavier stuff. I take and make good shots on game, and I rarely have an animal do anything but go down. Good luck with your build and welcome to the "Norma Mag" club we are few are far between but all love the caliber and it's performance.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.