308 Marlin Express

Gstew1930

I know this caliber died a while ago but before it did I bought around 200 pcs of brass. I absolutely love this rifle. It shoots very well (made by marlin not Remington). Here's my question. Is anyone else using this and if so what bullets are you using. I can't stand the FTX bullets hornady made for them (I've had to track to many deer with well placed shots) So it pretty much leaves me with 30-30 bullets. I've also thought about just loading the gun with only two rounds. One in the chamber and one in the tube, that way I can shoot the bullets I actually like. Thoughts?

FWIW, I messed with this round way back in 2007ish (I think) when it came out based off sheer curiosity. Like you, not a fan of the FTX (similar results). Ended up using 30-30 type bullets like the WW 150Gr Silvertip and Federal 150s Flat Points fast as I could push em. Worked well, but ended up selling off and sticking with my .35 Rem Marlin for Lever Gun stuff.

Just my 2 cents worth, If you wanna try the Old School 150 Silvertips, I'll send ya some.

What's been the shortcoming of the ftx bullets for you? If it's that they're too soft they make the mono flex

I wouldn't say they are to soft, I love Berger and ballistic tips, honestly I'm not sure what it is. I've just had to track to many animals that shouldn't have made it more than 50 yards.

I wouldn't say they are to soft, I love Berger and ballistic tips, honestly I'm not sure what it is. I've just had to track to many animals that shouldn't have made it more than 50 yards.
Fair enough. Can't argue with that. I think I know what you mean. Sometimes a bullet that is neither soft and violent nor tough and straight line bone smashing ends up being a jack of all trades but a master of none. What's designed to do everything isn't especially good at anything.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.