.308 loads

Greywolf18

I have a Remmy 700 SPS Varminter in .308 that I want to start reloading for. I just got reloading stuff for Xmas, and so I'm new to this "addiction" as my uncle calls it :D I am waiting on my dies and brass to get here, but am wondering if anyone has a good load for me to start out on? I have some Varget powder that I got for my .223, but haven't seen anyone using that for the .308. I bought 165gr Hornady SST bullets. This gun seems to shoot the 168gr Silvertips in 3 shot 100yd grps that range from I could cover them with a penny to just over 1". Only thing I've done is got rid of the crappy stock and put a B&C Medalist stock on it. Thanks for the help!

I found this on Hodgdon's web site. Tons of reloading data can be found there for the .308 win and others. A reloading manual (or 2) is always a good idea. Data posted on the internet should be verified with a reliable source and approached carefully. Well meaning posters do occasionally make mistakes.

165 GR. HDY SP Hodgdon Varget .308win - 42.0gr - 2,582 ft/sec - 40,800 CUP

46.0C gr - 2,773 ft/sec - 50,500 CUP

greywolf18, welcome to the addiction.

I have been working up loads for my Rem .308 M700P TWS using the Varget. I started @ 42.5 to 44.5 in .5 grn increments with a 5 round string for each. Suggested min is 41.0 to a max of 45.0 / 46.0 depending on who's data your using. I tend to go with the bullet manufacturers data myself. Brass I used is new Hornady "Match" & bullets are Barnes 168 Tipped TSX / 165 Swift Scirocco II & 165 Sierra GameKing BTHP. So far the Barnes @ 44.5 showed very promising signs with velocities topping out at an Average 2700 fps. With no signs of pressure issues. I had 3 out of 5 shots all touching @ 100yards I will work up 45.0 & 45.5 to see what that will show. Only to see if the velocity will top out. What they will do at 250 - 300 yards remain to be seen. I didn't get to finish the last 2 strings with the Scirocco's and never got to the Sierra's at all so another day at the range is in order. When I have finished with the Varget I will be working up using IMR 3031 as a powder comparison.

If you are a data junky like myself you will find the cartridge that works best in your rifle. Just make sure you document everything you do. There are so many variables to try but you won't find the best if you don't try enough. Your Uncle may have already mentioned this to you but be sure to break that Rem in right. You'll be glad you did!! Good luck Bill

Greywolf - Varget is an outstanding powder for the .308 Win, so you're set there. Good velocity and good accuracy is the norm with that powder, I've been using it for years with my competition loads.

Don't be afraid to try different bullets, hovering around the 165 - 175 grain weight range, or even some 150 - 155's.

CCI and Federal match primers both work well.

Winchester brass requires a little prep work, but does a fine job. Lapua is excellent.

Great article on loading the .308 over on 6mmbr.com: .308 Winchester Cartridge Guide

Regards, Guy

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.