308 Load info

Ah Ha! The truth hurts. Didn't mean for it to hurt, but if you and yours shoot that well, it shouldn't matter at all. Kudos to you for doing so well.
lol a lot of keyboard snipers out there with 1/4 MOA guns. I do have a rifle that is a legit 1/2 MOA but it is far more consistent than I.

lol a lot of keyboard snipers out there with 1/4 MOA guns. I do have a rifle that is a legit 1/2 MOA but it is far more consistent than I.

:) I can consistently put 3 rounds in a cloverleaf pattern at 100 yards with my .338 Edge and TAC XPS in .223. The TAC XPS in .308 hasn't been dialed in yet so while it's sub moa at 100 I don't know what it's capable of yet.

Amazingly (or not) "the .338" (or shooter) tends to open up to about .5 - .75 moa at 450 yards.

I haven't shot the .223 beyond 100 yet. I'm sure it will stay within 1 moa between 200 and 300 but expect it to open up as the range goes up. Stupid gun :D

Once I get my Sendero (7mm Rem Mag) tuned up I'll work on the TAC XPS in .308. Wouldn't it be cool (unbelievable?) if both shot 0.1 moa at 600 yards? :cool:

:) I can consistently put 3 rounds in a cloverleaf pattern at 100 yards with my .338 Edge and TAC XPS in .223. The TAC XPS in .308 hasn't been dialed in yet so while it's sub moa at 100 I don't know what it's capable of yet.

Amazingly (or not) "the .338" (or shooter) tends to open up to about .5 - .75 moa at 450 yards.

I haven't shot the .223 beyond 100 yet. I'm sure it will stay within 1 moa between 200 and 300 but expect it to open up as the range goes up. Stupid gun :D

Once I get my Sendero (7mm Rem Mag) tuned up I'll work on the TAC XPS in .308. Wouldn't it be cool (unbelievable?) if both shot 0.1 moa at 600 yards? :cool:
That would be cool. but in reality a .1 group is more luck than skill or equipment. unless you can shoot in a vacuum or a giant room with no wind, temp differences etc.

That would be cool. but in reality a .1 group is more luck than skill or equipment. unless you can shoot in a vacuum or a giant room with no wind, temp differences etc.
Friend of mine back in the early 1970's had a collet made to fit the ogive of some 30 caliber 185-gr. match bullets. The collet was chucked up in a Dremel Tool with an ampmeter in line with one side of the electric cord. Bullets were spun at 30,000 rpm. A few were so unbalanced they flew out of the collet bouncing off walls, ceiling and people. The perfect balanced ones drew the least current and several dozen were set aside for testing.

He clamped his Hart barreled pre-'64 Win. 70 in a machine rest then tested his loads at 600 yards. Some of the 10 shot groups were barely under 7/10ths inch; close to 1/10th MOA at 600 yards. The other groups were all under 1.5 inches. Then a 40-shot group was fired and the all went into 1.92 inch. Not bad at all for full length sized cases and perfectly balanced bullets.

Friend of mine back in the early 1970's had a collet made to fit the ogive of some 30 caliber 185-gr. match bullets. The collet was chucked up in a Dremel Tool with an ampmeter in line with one side of the electric cord. Bullets were spun at 30,000 rpm. A few were so unbalanced they flew out of the collet bouncing off walls, ceiling and people. The perfect balanced ones drew the least current and several dozen were set aside for testing.

He clamped his Hart barreled pre-'64 Win. 70 in a machine rest then tested his loads at 600 yards. Some of the 10 shot groups were barely under 7/10ths inch; close to 1/10th MOA at 600 yards. The other groups were all under 1.5 inches. Then a 40-shot group was fired and the all went into 1.92 inch. Not bad at all for full length sized cases and perfectly balanced bullets.

My guns out shoot me any day... but I'm working on it.

GREAT one more thing for bench rest shooters to worry about. Me, There is a point of diminishing returns and an extra hour of work per 50 rounds is not worth an extra .2 MOA. I'd rather spend that time behind the trigger improving my skill another .2 MOA

My guns out shoot me any day... but I'm working on it.
Welcome to the club. Everyone's guns shoot better than their owners. Us humans are just not repeatable accuracy wise holding onto them trying to make them shoot.

Which is why the US Olympic Team has a machine rest in their indoor range to test their rifles and ammo. That rail gun has no shot to shot error. We can only hope to be close.

Welcome to the club. Everyone's guns shoot better than their owners. Us humans are just not repeatable accuracy wise holding onto them trying to make them shoot.

Which is why the US Olympic Team has a machine rest in their indoor range to test their rifles and ammo. That rail gun has no shot to shot error. We can only hope to be close.
I'm pretty sure I can out shoot my Mosin m44.

was running 165g Nosler BT out of 1:12 26" SPS
46.5g AR2208 (Varget)
Lapua brass
CCI BR2 primers
2880fps
.3" - .4" groups all day, and performed great out to 800m.
hope this helps.
happy hunting......

I loaded up some 168 gr and 150 gr nosler bt's and am all ready to go except
my scope,rings and bases have not arrived yet
I have a leupold Mark 4, and seekins rings and bases coming soon
retiredcpo

the 168g should be the better pick of the two. i used the 150g and were good but once you got out passed 300yds the wind would play havick on em, just have to be alittle more switched on with your wind reading. I tryed the Berger 185g VLD with .550 B.C and they were brilliant. very distructive at all ranges with .308. stuck with the 165g BT though cause they were grouping better.
the Mark 4 series are a great scope. Im currently using a Night Force 5.5x22x50mm. thinking of upgrading though due to the fact i just bought a custum .338LM.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.