308 difficulty

lead lobber

has anyone ever had this happen? I have savage 10fp in 308. It has shot great from round one. I have 5 reloads on lapua brass. 43 gr of varget, 175 gr mk at 2.79 oal. Primer pockets were snug so I reloaded them again. use redding type s neck die and comp seater. The rounds chamber tight but ok. bolt lift on first round was tight so i put another round in chamber and tried to remove it unfired. have to slap bolt in reverse to get it to eject. tried to shorten oal but didnt help. Noticed scuffmark on bottom of each bullet that has been chambered. Nothing has changed on gun that i know of and chamberall gauge reads same as before. Tried running round thru body die and this helped, but still snug to eject I am really lost??????? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif Any suggestions?

case length? check and trim
carbon ring in front of chamber?
BUMP THE SHOULDER BACK WITH THE FL die -- dont neck size

I HAD to trim my lapua 308s after 4 firings FYI -- groups went to hell at the same time.

YMMV,
JB

In addition to the above

Put the fired case back in and a neck sized case with no bullet and see what happens. i.e. is it the case or the bullet or the loaded case?

Is the base of the bullet below the shoulder? If so check for "Buffalobobitis", a rare affliction in which for no known reason you get inside neck doughnuts so huge you have to order inside neck reamers so you can turn the outside of the neck. If one should be trying to force a bullet down past that ring something has to give and my bet is that the neck will expand and then the round will be hard to chamber and then next to impossible to extract. There is probably some fancy way to check for this but that stupid ring is pretty easy to see when you get to looking. I hope you have some easier problem than this.

Yep, sounds familiar. I bought a body die that doesn't touch the neck to resize the brass. Now when they get snug I run them through the body die and everything is happy again.

Spend $20 and get a Lee collet die if your only gonna be neck sizing , their worth their weight in gold. Mine load staiter ammo than my Redding comp neck bushing dies do , with a Forster seating die that is

Lead lobber,

Do I have this correct? You test loaded (in the chamber) some of your reloads. The first few were tight and then you ran into one that you had to slap the bolt back to get it out. This is the 5th reloading without FL resizing?

If the above is correct, it sounds like the body die is not getting the job done. The first one/two that you chambered, there may have been some lube in the chamber, and you were able to remove these. With each successive shell there was less lube until you had to force one out.

First of all, remove the bolt, and shine a flashlight into the chamber to make sure there is nothing (dirt, copper, brass shavings) that is stuck to the chamber wall. Next, take one of the suspect reloads and "paint" the lower part of the case with a magic marker/sharpy. Chamber, remove and look to see if there are marks on it. If not, paint other areas of the case until you find the problem. You may find you just need to FLR after the 4th firing of your loads and then you will be good for 4 minimum resize operations.

If the scuffmarks are on the bottom of the bullet (not cartridge case) this usually means there is a burr on the leading edge of the chamber and as you chamber a round it scrapes the base of the bullet. This will happen when chambering a round from the magazine, but will not happen if you just lay them in there. Another cause could be the chamber edge is causing the scuffmarks when you remove the loaded round, but this would be on the right side of the bullet (viewed from the rear). Regardless, if you feel this is the cause, easing the edge with some 600 grit wet or dry sandpaper is the solution.

Hope this helps.

Jim

thanks everybody!

I need to check trim length first but I will full length resize some of them to see if this helps. I checked the chamber for material and cleaned with jb paste. I will recheck with my stoney point gauge to see length. Thanks again.

Lobber

Adjust your sizer die ......all you have to do is set the neck back alittle on your cases.....and you will be able to chamber without difficulty.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.