308 chamber reamer question

hunter0925

I just dropped off my 308 for the gunsmith to true my action and install my Krieger barrel. It is a 10 twist light varmint contour that was fluted by southern precision and I have a little bastard gen 2 on order for it. My problem is coming in with the chamber decision. I am having the barrel cut to 16.5 inches and will be shooting lapua brass and have 175 grain nosler custom competition bullets and 155 lapua scenar. What chamber reamer should I go with, neck dimensions, freebore and so forth? I will be using an ai mag so will be limited to mag length and don't want to turn necks. Thanks in advance.

I just dropped off my 308 for the gunsmith to true my action and install my Krieger barrel. It is a 10 twist light varmint contour that was fluted by southern precision and I have a little bastard gen 2 on order for it. My problem is coming in with the chamber decision. I am having the barrel cut to 16.5 inches and will be shooting lapua brass and have 175 grain nosler custom competition bullets and 155 lapua scenar. What chamber reamer should I go with, neck dimensions, freebore and so forth? I will be using an ai mag so will be limited to mag length and don't want to turn necks. Thanks in advance.

Don't get tricky ! Stay with a SAMME chamber. It has plenty of free bore to control pressure and will fit the standard mags. If loaded correctly, accuracy will be top notch.

Just My Opinion

J E CUSTOM

I considered saami min reamers but just wasn't quite sure. I read were a lot of people were using the bisley match reamer for the 175 and 155 staying at mag length. I shot quite a bit of long range in the past while in the service but that was years ago. This rifle won't be a true long range gun but I will use it out to 500-600. Anything custom or semi custom is a new world for me so that's why I ask. I have had 3 other guns rebarreled and actions trued and stayed with saami chambers there as well but they were hunting rifles.

I considered saami min reamers but just wasn't quite sure. I read were a lot of people were using the bisley match reamer for the 175 and 155 staying at mag length. I shot quite a bit of long range in the past while in the service but that was years ago. This rifle won't be a true long range gun but I will use it out to 500-600. Anything custom or semi custom is a new world for me so that's why I ask. I have had 3 other guns rebarreled and actions trued and stayed with saami chambers there as well but they were hunting rifles.

Lots of people think you have to have a custom reamer to get accuracy. (A good SAMME reamed chamber is not the same as factory chamber and can be just as accurate as custom reamers).

Once fire formed, the quality is in the loading and not is some special dimension that can give trouble. All of my match rifles have SAMME chambers and they are competitive out to 1200 yards plus.

The only time I deviate from SAMME reamers is when I design different wildcats that have special needs. Normally that consist of a free bore change and lead angle. body taper and shoulder location and angle are used to arrive at the targeted powder volume.

J E CUSTOM

I have had good results with my 2011 Fullbore reamer. I shoot 155 smk 2156 exclusively in the rifle. That rifle has more then a few cleans at 1000.

Nick

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.