.308 Cal-166g Hammer Hunter is born

Especially if it hasn't been changed for awhile lol.
With the Swiss screw machines you can't run water based coolant. Some of those use animal fats and can get nasty. We use a mineral based oil that has mild smell and never gets any worse. I'm so used to it now that I don't notice it. Nice thing about the mineral based oil is it is not caustic in any way and it doesn't have any environmental impacts. Petroleum based oils burn your skin. It's terrible when you are in it all the time.

Anyway I think we have finally settled on an oil that we will stick with. Like everything else we have done it has been by trial and error.

With the Swiss screw machines you can't run water based coolant. Some of those use animal fats and can get nasty. We use a mineral based oil that has mild smell and never gets any worse. I'm so used to it now that I don't notice it. Nice thing about the mineral based oil is it is not caustic in any way and it doesn't have any environmental impacts. Petroleum based oils burn your skin. It's terrible when you are in it all the time.

Anyway I think we have finally settled on an oil that we will stick with. Like everything else we have done it has been by trial and error.
I forgot that swiss ran on different coolant than cnc. Geez I guess it's been ten or eleven years now since I ran a cnc or swiss machine, where did the time go? Yes the swiss coolants didn't go bad and didn't bother my skin. But I wore gloves anyways. Trial and error has come up with alot of practical solutions. sometimes it requires out of the box mindsets.

I have not figured out exactly the percent of scrap. Depends on the caliber of bullet and the size of the bar it is cut from. Roughly 30-40%.

We have looked into that tooling. Very expensive. Needing one for every diff bullet just seems prohibitive. Not sure it would save enough cycle time. Also worry about tool deflection with the bar fed out to the length of the part causing concentricity issues. Not sure on that though.
I suspected that. I was just amazed at the difference between old school production work and that of today; like 50 years ago I was making those tools. The machinery that you are running for these bullets is fast and also hydraulic, need a slight adjustment, adjust the program and keep running. With the scive tool it has to be removed, sharpened and then dialed in. Keep making your good products, will be trying them on a bear hunt for the first time this year.

How many of these individual machines are at work in your production facility. ?? Its a very informative video.

Rl23 has been our go to in the 300wm. If you can get hold of Gunwerks, ADG, or Peterson brass, 3400 fps should be no problem.
Thank you, good to know. I will break out the 1st box of 166s to pair with RL23 and Peterson Long. Convenient, RL23 is my powder of choice for the 280A1. Sitting on a couple of 8#s. Will report when the new build makes it to the range.
20220618_130438.jpg