.308 accuracy load for 135 SMK

texastrophy

I've been shooting the 135 Berger FB with Varget for up to 300 yards and it's proven to be a very accurate combination for me, but the 135 SMK's are 2/3 the price and I'd sure like to give them a try. Does anyone have an accuracy load that works for them with the SMK's? I'm shooting a Remington 700 SPS Varmint with a 1-12 twist and 26" barrel. I do have other loads for heavier bullets so I'm not looking for any suggestions other than for the 135's. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Both the Sierra and Berger 135's are good bullets, but I am surprised they shoot so well for you in a fast twist. I have shot both in my 30BR with 18 twist - however I find the lighter 110-118 gr. bullets are more accurate for my 500 meter groundhog shoots. Varget should be the powder of choice in your .308. Have you tried RL 15 or IMR 4895? Another good bullet in my 30BR is the Speer 125 grain; very accurate.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.