.308 168gr Bergers

scsims

I was working up some loads for my Encore ProHunter 300 WinMag and got the best ES in velocity with the max load of 83 grains of H1000 and the 168gr Berger. Seating depth is about .001-.002 off the lands.

MV averaged 3200fps for 9 shots and the accuracy is what I'm concerned with. I shot 21 round today working up to max load and 1.5" seamed to be the average group size.

Do you all have any suggestions that would tighten these groups up? I have heard that the Berger do better when seated in the lands, would this help?

Thansk,
Scott

You must load some test rounds to find out where they shoot best. Berger VLD's usually shoot best for me .010" into the lands. They don't seem to group too well untill you get .005" and closer. You must back the loads off and work up because seating on or into the lands can increase pressure dramatically.

Well I tried seating them a little longer with no difference in group size still about 1.5 - 2". Then I decided to try add a pressure point in the forarm and it helped. I am now getting .7-1.5" groups.

Not too bad especially for a gun that about knocks me off the bench each shot.

I could probably try to increase the pressure point and playing with the seating depth a little more but that will be for next time.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.