300wsm/ or what?

Tryn4sub

Next month i plan on purchasing a 300wsm Rem700sps. only for the action. then build from there. However. (I am new here) No one that I can see here, seem to chat about the 300wsm. Only the 300 or 300 RUM.
Is the 300wsm a bad choise for a Long Gun???????? Im NOT into (as of now) the big heavy hitters. Just Dont like the thump..

I would not buy a 700 just for the action and then have it trued etc.

You can buy on 700 clone off now for $700 that is ready to go with no mods, must add barrel, Wyatts box and stock.

IMO the WSM is a great intermediate LR round.

BH

The 300 WSM will be a great long range cartridge. If you go with a 30" barrel, you can push the 210grn SMK at 3000fps and the 190 at 3100fps.

BountyHunter.
Will need to bare with me. I am NOT as remotely advanced as most people here. I am a basic shooter. I think! My plans were to get a 700 sps only for the action, put a Loather barrel on it(i like Loather barrels,convient too. Their shop is next to my house.) after market trig, and moreless build my own stock from fiberglass.
However you said to get a 700 clone. What is a 700 clone, and who makes it??

there are several mftrs makeing the 700 clones, Stiller Predator (next shipment available in Mar), Bordens, Pierce, are the more popular. Just custom actions with better specs than the Rem and true to start with, no extra gunsmithing needed.

About 2 yrs ago, I went exactly the route you propose. Kind of rehashing what I knew I should not do and the clones were just coming out, could not get one at that time. So went with the 300 WSM, Rem SPS. Tried to make the factory barrel shoot and would not. Oh by the way riveted extractor broke first 20 shots. Month in the warranty shop. Replaced the factory barrel with Lilja #4, Bruce Baer Thumbhole butternut stock (2.5 lbs) and tried again. Good groups and went to Midwest hunting in Nov. 3rd shot to confirm zero and same **** riveted extractor broke again. Gun is now in warranty shop to have another rem extractor put in. As soon as it comes out it is going to my smith for fitting of a Dave Kiff bolt with properly located Sako extractor. While replacing the barrel, had to true front of rcvr (lug was very good, so we used it)

BH

Tryn

The 300wsm was not intended to compete with the big 30,s like the
RUM with big bullets.

But the 300wsm does work well with 150,s and 160,s to about 700yrds.

If you dont like (Thumpers) you might look at the 7mm WSM with 140,s
(less thump) but about 15'' to 20'' flatter trajectory out to 700yrds and
about the same energy.( It starts out at about 150 ft/sec faster than
the 300 WSM and retains velocity better to 800yrds.

As for the action the 700 SPS makes a good doner for a custom rifle
if you intend to replace the barrel and the stock.

At under $400.oo you end up with a good action ,trigger and floor
metal.But toss the tupperware stock and replace it with a good
composit or laminate stock.

Just another option
J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.